1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Savinelli and their filters

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Smokes, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokes

Smokes Member

Ladies and Gents:

I greatly appreciate the warm welcome I've received thus far. I'd like to obtain your recommendations. I'm currently breaking myself in and enjoying a MM Country Gent. I'm looking for a Briar and like what I have seen and heard from Savinelli.

Either the Duca Carlo or a Trevi. My concerns are the filters. I don't see the point of them nor do I want to buy a pipe where they are an additional problem or hassle.

So I'd appreciate any thoughts and opinions on the Savinellis and their filter system (whether you use it or whether you don't have to).

Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you in advance,

2. Monkeyshine

Monkeyshine Active Member

I regularly smoke my Trevi without the filter. It came with the no-filter adaptor but I smoke it without that too.

3. rlucas

rlucas Active Member

I have the Sav Café and regularly smoke it without the filter. If I'm trying something new I will put the filter in. Problem is I forget its in there.

4. Jim44

Jim44 Member

Most of the Savinelli pipes come with a filter and an adapter that replaces the filter if you don't care to use them. I generally use the filter for a few bowls, and then pitch it and switch to the adapter. They also smoke very well without either one.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Savinelli.:thu2:

5. Smokes

Smokes Member

Thank you Gentlemen.

Ideally I think I'd like the Duca Carlo's bowl with the Trevi collar and stem. That would be more than beautiful. Both look great though.

ronbruce61 likes this.
  6. Huby Springer

Huby Springer Active Member

I always use the filter (more of a moisture catcher) in my 320 Trevi. I'm sure it'd be fine without it though.

7. krusty

krusty Active Member

Greetings Smokes.
    You can smoke any of the Savinelli's that are designed for a filter with out either a filter or the adapter piece with no worries.
    I have done so for years with no issues. Good pipes for the money, enjoy!

8. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

That was my first thought as I viewed the pics.Since that's not an option I would go with the Duca Carlo.

I have a Sav Piazza Di Spagna 173 that I just love.I smoked it for several months with filter.I ran out,forgot to order,so I finally placed the adaptor in.No probs still smokes like a champ.I also have a Caramella 626......just started using it without the filter last week.These poor pipes get so little use nowadays since I discovered cobs.

Ron

9. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

The Trevi line is much better than the Duca Carlo. I had one and it had tons of fills, the finish was bleh, and it did not smoke well. It turned me off Savs for a long time until I tried better lines.

10. Smokes

Smokes Member

Thank you all, good to know.

Ron, why your preference for Cobs?

Neo, yeah knowing it may be up a line is having a bearing on the purchase. In all likelihood I think it'll be the Trevi being as that is the most I want to spend and the most beautiful thing I've seen for myself.

11. ronbruce61

ronbruce61 Member

Why cobs.........I get such natural raw unambiguous flavor from any tobacco burned in a cob.I don't need to smoke a particular blend in every piece of briar I own to find its perfect match........Found it already,MM Country Gentleman.Burning some fantastic Reiner Long Golden Flake in a CG right now......not one of my briars led me to believe this blend was worth a second look.Boy were they wrong.

Ron

12. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

I try using the filter if I smoke a blend with more moisture than others. I dont know if it has an affect, but it makes sense in my mind. :D

Lukasaurus likes this.
  13. Jay

Jay Active Member

I have the same Duca Carlo. It is a good pipe, drilled a little high. Smoked best once broken in. Smoke it all day without the filter or the adapter no problem.

I also have a Trevi 626, it is a smaller pipe, drilled well. I also smoke that without the filter or the adapter and there is no problem.

Savinelli pipes are a great value.

14. msutton

msutton New Member

I have a Duca Carlo, and it's one of my favorite pipes. I took the filter out before the first time I smoked it and threw it away. I've never had an issue with moisture.

15. mattia76

mattia76 Member

I haven't used one of the filters in years. When I did, i seem to remember changing it out ever 2-3 smokes.

16. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

I also have a Duca Carlo and its easily one of my favorite pipes. I told the guy at the B & M to keep the filters and adapter cause I dont use them. Thing smokes like a dream

17. Lukasaurus

Lukasaurus Active Member

I do the very same with mine at present! I'm so pleased with my first sav that I've ordered a second one (payday!) and I can't recommend them enough. You get plenty of filters thrown in but the pipe smokes brilliantly both with or without.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.