1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

savinelli balsa system conversion

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by avmech20, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avmech20

avmech20 Member

is it possible to convert a savinelli pipe with the balsa system to a non filtered pipe? I don't mind the filter system, but I don' want to have to continue to buy filters. I'm sure there is somebody that sells stems for the savinelli pipes. I have a 673ks model duca carlo.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Two ways:

1) Remove the filter. Voila!
    2) Use the plastic converter tube that came with the pipe to reduce the draw. Also voila.

Gary and HCraven like this.
  3. Scottly

Scottly Member

Yes it is. They have a little tube you install instead of the filter, or lots of people just do not install the filter or tube and smoke away.

bubbagump likes this.
  4. voodoo101

voodoo101 Member

I have smoked my Savinelli Trevi with and without the balsa filter. I have not used the converter. Either way is a good smoke but I have grown to like the filter. Makes for a cooler less harsh smoke. Some wash out and reuse the filter.

5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

+ 1 for the converter. Or send it out to one of our members to make you a stem. You might get a PM or 2 from some one who can do this for you.

6. DanielO

DanielO Member

A warning on the converter tube: I have found they can gurgle. They seem to trap moisture and cause a "mid stem" gurgle rather than the bottom-of-the-bowl gurgle that occurs from smoking too hot. I use the filters, but if I were you I'd just go without them.

Jussto and Jesla like this.
  7. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

I have a Sav bent Dublin, I have always used it without the filter and it's one of my best smokers.

8. avmech20

avmech20 Member

I'm pretty sure I didn't get a converter tube with it, but I'll look. I just thought there may be an after market stem maker.

9. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Look in the bag of filters that typically come with it, there is usually one in there. It's just a little black tube, and is easily overlooked. Nitehawk sent me a sample of tobacco in one of those little zip-lock bags the filters come in once, and at the bottom of the bag I found a converter tube. It was like the grown-up version of Cap'n Crunch or something, I got a toy surprise with the tobacco. :p:

10. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Just remove the filter and smoke away!

bubbagump likes this.
  11. avmech20

avmech20 Member

I didn't find one with the filters, so i went through the christmas wrapping trash LOL. no luck though. I will smoke it without the filter no prob. Someday i'm gonna have one made. I would love a nice turtle shell or a dark green lucite :D

12. Cortez

Cortez Member

If you don't object to using the balsa filters, then buy a supply of balsa wood from a hobby shop or craft store, and a blade to trim it to size. A few dollars will buy a lifetime supply of filters.

13. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

I find the converters cause mine to gurgle as well. I almost always use them without the filters, I like the more open draw.

Jesla likes this.
  14. Nate

Nate Member

I have actually tried Savinelli pipes all three ways: balsa, converter, and nothing, and have found mine smoke best with the 'nothing' configuration. Try it for yourself, you can get the converters from a lot of places and you can remove the balsa and smoke away. I think you will find the 'open' configuration will go like gangbusters.

bubbagump likes this.
  15. shadow

shadow Active Member

Converter tubes / adapters are only another thing that requires cleaning so just smoke without anything.:bing:

bubbagump and user0003 like this.
  16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

Smoke Nude.....I like that.....:ohyh:

17. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

Honestly I think I'm a fan of the balsa. I tried it all three ways too, balsa, converter, and nadda, and the balsa was cool and dry, the heel was dry for the first time ever that I've ever seen.

With the converter the heel was a bit wet like a new pipe can be, not bad at all mind you, it's still a great pipe, but the filter appears to do it's job of soaking up moisture.

Sans converter made no difference, so what's the converter for? :confused:

Given that I'm a fast puffer and moisture is always a problem I'm probably gonna go the buy your own balsa and cut a life time of filters option.

Oh and their advertising about how you should replace the balsa after two or three smokes doesn't line up for me, it's always a wet nasty mess of pulp after the first bowl for me, but then again that may be the heavy fast puffing.

Word of warning, don't plug in a balsa and FORGET you did it, and then cram said balsa down in to the shank with a pipe cleaner, it's a pain in the ass to remove.

18. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Member

I belong to the just-leave-it-out school.

bubbagump likes this.
  19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I smoked filtered pipes for over 10 years, always used the filters, without the filters the draw was too open for me which caused the pipe to smoke hot and fast with excessive moisture collecting in the empty filter space, didn't cause any gurgle just a wet tasting smoke. Now I smoke filter less pipes and enjoy them a lot more and going forward will not buy any more pipes that use a filter system, regardless of brand.

20. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I prefer smoking my Savs without any plumbing whatsoever but on a new bowl, i'll us the balsa filters to aid in keeping the heel dry so berak in will go smoother and faster. I also will take the balsa filter out to let it dry for re-use or to pitch...my decision.

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.