1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Savinelli pipe owners

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by LutzSpearo, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LutzSpearo

LutzSpearo Member

How often do you change your balsa filter? Every bowl, every x bowls?

How long do you wait after smoking until you take the stem out and clean the pipe? A day, 10 minutes? I understand it needs to cool off, but I'm curious if it matters if one waits a couple days.

Do you find any problems from leaving a moist filter in the shank/stem after smoking?

I've been smoking for a couple months now, and love my Savinelli's. I'm interested in hearing how others care for their Savs. Any tips or advice are welcome!

Huby Springer likes this.
  2. DeusExMachina

DeusExMachina Member

I usually use my balsa wood filters for two smoke sessions. Usually. If it's a sav with a dedicated blend- I just flip the filter around, and seems to work pretty well for me. If I'm smoking different blends? Then once, for sure.

I treat the pipe like any other I own, and just wait before its cool and dry before I clean it. This is usually a couple hours? I throw them on my desk and get into something for a while, then come back. I always do a sniff test on the filters before putting it back in the pipe, sometimes they can get pretty bad smelling.

I've left dirty filters in my savs, sure. Never noticed a problem, but I'm usually pretty good with cleaning after each smoke.

Other than the filter flipping/replacing, I treat my savs just like my other pipes. I'm sure there are people that leave filter in for seven smokes, or maybe just four, but two seems to be my max.

3. Jim44

Jim44 Member

I usually use the filters for one or two smokes-the FIRST one or two. Then switch to the little plastic filter replacers, and just give it a good cleaning every now and then, probably after 8 or 10 smokes or so. I don't care much for filters. I am probably the #1 Savinelli fan----I have 6 or 7 and they are all I smoke on a regular basis.:bing:

4. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

When I use the balsa filters I replace them after each bowl. Since I have the stem off anyway I run a dry pipe cleaner through the stem and shank.

I'll smoke 5 or 6 bowls in the pipe this way and then I'll give the pipe a thorough cleaning and put it back on the rack for a week or longer.

5. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I change mine out after every smoke. The balsa filters are relatively inexpensive and I don't smoke my Savinelli more than 3-4 times a month so a pack of balsa filters will last me awhile. I'm not a particular fan of filters and have smoked this pipe without a balsa filter BUT I use this pipe as a desiginated aromatics smoker and get alot of "pipe juice" if I don't. When I first got it of course I smoked it more often. I would get 2-3 smokes then replace. I would take the filter out after every smoke to let it dry.

6. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula All about having fun!

Now, if any of you don't like your savs as it is too much work please feel free to send them my way. :)

dBear, JHeiliger, ruffinogold and 2 others like this.
  7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I use a filter on my Savinellis maybe half the time and just for one smoke . The Dr. Grabows I use a filter all the time and for up to 3 or 4 smokes . MM Legends and Washingtons , I use them all the time 3-4 smokes . Using a filter on a cob keeps them really clean in the shank and most of the stem

KingsTarantula likes this.
  8. KN092011

KN092011 Member

I have a couple of savs but I stopped using the filters on either; too much to hassle with. When I did use them however, I would only use each filter for one smoke, would wait an hour or so, then pull the stem and toss the filter. I'm a clencher and apparently a heavy drooler though so I noticed my filters were saturated from the top down. I left one in for a few days after one smoke and when I remembered to take it out (3-4 days later) it was still wet. Pulling them out and letting them air dry isn't a bad idea if they're not too gunky.

9. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

When I owned a couple of the Savinelli Bing Crosby pipes I would go 2 or 3 smokes before recycling filters, just rinse and let dry and they are good for another 2 or 3 smokes before discarding them, clean pipe as usual between filter changes.

10. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Anyone know if you can cut the filters in half?

11. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I suppose you could but you might have to dig it out of the stem with some pliers or something when you want to remove it. A whole filter will stick out enough to grab it but half a filter probably wouldn't. No big deal though. I'm sure it would work just fine.

12. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I've done so when I ran low. Just place the half filter in halfway, and it will be easy to pull out.

On a side (see what I did here?):ngty:
    note ...
    I read where
    Sav. filters work
    better than
    others. The article
    even had figure's
    on their
    effectiveness.

13. SidStavros

SidStavros Active Member

LutzSpearo and ruffinogold like this.
  14. upinsmoke

upinsmoke Member

Never use the filters. They block pipecleaners, mess up the draw and leave a taste of balsa.

15. BRotherBriar

BRotherBriar Member

I used my filter for a few smokes and then I threw it out and just went au naturale. I don't use the conversion bit either. I actually think the pipe smokers better since I got rid of the filter.

dBear likes this.
  16. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

What filter?

dBear likes this.
  17. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm wondering something in regards to the filters etc ...

I don't sip a pipe , never have , really ... I smoke on them pretty hefty like and make big clouds of smoke , especially when I'm out and about with one , not so much sitting down . Being I smoke that way , mostly ... I wonder if that's why I dig a filter in my Grabows and cobs . I think if I were a sipper , it probably wouldn't work so well ?

davidmackv likes this.
  18. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

That could be Ruffin. I sip and I don't use filters, because they interfere with my sipping.

ruffinogold likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.