1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

savinelli

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by EEPipeSmoker, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EEPipeSmoker

EEPipeSmoker Member

My new savinelli natural is changing color surprisingly fast. I have to say I thought it would be many dozens of bowls before I saw it get noticeably darker at all, but it's barely starting to get broken in and already is getting a rich dark color. Just thought I'd share.

2. Stoked

Stoked Member

I love Savs! Please post a pic so I can get all excited... [​IMG]

3. Legend

Legend Member

I know this is an old thread, but I just got a Savinelli natural, my fist Sav ever. I am very pleased, it has fills and pits, but the draw is awesome and it is a fantastic smoker after just three bowls burned. I highly recommend this pipe. I got a lucite saddle stem billiard. It is coloring already, I will post pics later, before and after.

4. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

I always think a pipe colouring is one of the great pleasures of this hobby.

Back in April I bought myself a set of eight Falcons with blonde bowls - as we speak they've gone to a rather nice rich orange colour and I love them the more.

Thanks for sharing

Gerry

5. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Wiley pipes are like that too ... his oil cureing might speed it up ? Either way , watching them mature is awesome !

6. Legend

Legend Member

The unvarnished Briar was the main reason I sprung for the pipe. I have a friend named Dave Whitney, who sells pipes on Ebay. Some here have bought pipes from him I'm sure. Great guy. Anyways, he is a believer in removing the finish off of pipes, he feels that lets the briar "breathe". Although I myself can tell no difference in the smoke, I loved the way the bare briar looked with just a coat of carnauba on it. I wish more manufacturers would provide unfinished pipes. You should see how beautiful some of my old Grabows look without the varnish.

7. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

There's something about a nekked pipe that's just amazingly wonderful to smoke! "Monica" my Tinsky CC 517 is an incredible smoker and part of the reason for my Tinsky PAD attack. Nekked pipes just seem to smoke wonderfully. IMO

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

8. freestoke

freestoke Member

I prefer unvarnished pipes too. I am in the process of removing the varnish from an estate pipe I got in a lot from ebay. I want to sand it right down past the stain, actually. It's a super piece of briar and a very big bowl. (I'm even contemplating reshaping it a bit, but I'd really have to think about that.) Ten or fifteen more cleanings to ungunk it and it might be a terrific pipe, ready to darken up again!

9. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I would like to see some before and after pics too if possible (by anybody)

10. freestoke

freestoke Member

The one I'm diddling with is the one in the middle, a "Georgetown Berkebile Extra".

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m607/freestoke/pipelot.jpg

I can see it now, it'll be like Antiques Roadshow. "With the original finish, it would be worth at least $10000 at auction, but as it is it probably is worth $10."

11. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

I bought a pipe from him. Excellent condition and fast shipping. Would highly recommend.

12. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Finck Cigars sells a natural Nording. The quality of it is indistinguishable from my Sav natural. Both have been manufactured very well. Tho I mainly smoke cobs (hard to beat cost/quality of smoke ratio), my preference in briars is the unfinished. I wonder if this is because my first good briar was the NN? I liked it so much that I got the Sav. My previous experience with briars was Dr Grabow and I never really could cotton up to them. I have no desire to move up to top end pipes just for the aesthetics of fancy grain and high quality finish. What I want out of a pipe is a soothing smoking experience and a good feel in my hand. The natural Nording and Sav satisfy these benchmarks for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.