1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Savinelli

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by raisingale, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raisingale

raisingale Member

Hey,
    I just “won” a Savinelli Grand Prix off of e-bay. I’ve been wanting a Savinelli for some time and for some odd reason this one reached out to me. My wife even liked it which is a plus. The odd thing is the fact that it’s covered with a skin of forest green leather. I’m guessing it’s hiding a flaw in the briar but I’m OK with that. It looks mighty cool in an odd sort of way. At any rate, I’ll post some photos as soon as it arrives. In the meantime, does anyone have any experience with leather clad pipes? This model in general? Tips? Tricks? Thoughts?
    Thanks!

2. bandlwalmer

bandlwalmer Member

No experience here....but congrats on the win. It sounds really cool. Can't wait to see some pics.

3. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi,

Only had experience with one Falcon with a leather covered bowl back in the 80/90s - it smoked just fine like any other Falcon and I had it for about 15 years before it met with an unfortunate accident involving my first wife and an open fire. I used to rub it over with clear shoe polish once a week and it held its tan colour up to the end,

Enjoy the pipe when it comes,

Gerry

4. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

I am a huge fan of Savinelli's, they are my favorite pipes, and the one you won(which congratz is in order :) ) I have heard good things, ive heard it has the same smooth and almost effortless pull that comes with just about any sav, so i think you will really enjoy this pipe, hope it gives you many years of smoke...Enjoy the Sav!!!!!!

5. raisingale

raisingale Member

That's why a Sav was on my "must have" list! I've heard nothing but good about them. I can't wait to try it out. Next up is a decent meerschaum. Nothing too ornate, just a smooth apple or something along those lines. I was actually bidding on an old CAO meer when this one caught my eye. Needless to say I didn't place the winning bid on it. Someday... someday!

6. pottsy

pottsy Member

I can't comment on that pipe, but I have seen a few leather clad pipes and think they look extremely cool. Then again, I like leather, so I might be a little biased.

7. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Sounds like a good looking pipe. Never seen a pipe with leather on it so I would love to see some pics when you get it. :)

8. erickghint

erickghint Member

Agreed, pics are always nice. :cheers: Sounds like you got a nice snag there, man.

9. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Great score! :velho: Pretty sure my Pops had a leather covered pipe years ago. Always thought it looked cool.

10. raisingale

raisingale Member

It's been shipped so I hope to have it in my paws by the weekend. Pictures to follow!

11. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Yes i would like to try a good meer out one day as well, and i feel your pain on the CAO meers, my local toby store has 4 CAO meers for only 100$, and its driving me crazy, and as my brother always says.. Short drive lol but any way, like they all have said cant wait to see pics of this bad boy when it comes in!!

12. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

There is something that feels just right when you fold and stuff a quality flake like Quiet Nights in a narrow-bowled Meerschaum. Perfect.

So pull the PAD trigger already!

Edit: Except that it just occured to me that Quiet Nights is a broken flake. OSG then!! :thumbsu:

13. raisingale

raisingale Member

Well it exceeded my expectations! She's a beauty. The pictures don't really do it justice. It's damn near pristine!

14. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

Wow I like!!! Very nice pipe, I hope you enjoy it.

15. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

It's a beauty. If the picture doesn't do it justice I don't want to see one in person. This is the kind of pipe I daydream about. Nice purchase!

16. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

That Sav is back in production.

Cricket

17. raisingale

raisingale Member

Thanks Guys, I'm pretty (very) pleased with it. I saw the Cricket Jesla. Word on the street is that the leather stitching leaves a bit to be desired. This old model is incredibly well stitched. I do like the wood collar on the Cricket though. In fact, I wonder if a resident pipemaker on the forum could add one to mine?

18. chambers11283

chambers11283 Member

Damn that pipes is a looker, great buy. You did great on winning her, i know Savinelli's so i know she will be very good to you for many many years to come. Treat her good and she will treat you good lol. enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!! :velho:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.