Scary sight

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DaveyBoy, Feb 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I had about three hours of driving ahead of me today, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to smoke a few bowls while I was in the car.
    I ended up smoking about 4 bowls...a couple of virginias and a couple of english blends.
    I got home and was getting ready to head to the gym and didn't want pipe breath, so I went to give my teeth a good brushing and to my horror, the back of my tongue was BLACK...not brown, but BLACK!
    around the black area was a typical brownish sort of butterscotch color.
    I brushed my tongue, but it took several tries, rinses and a lot of fighting a gag reflex, but it pretty much went away.
    Having smoked cigars for 20+ years (pipes about 3+ now) I have never encountered a black tongue before. The odd part is that I was impressed that none of the 4 different blends seemed to "bite" at all.
    So I am wondering how often more experienced smokers run into this.

Could it be caused by latakia in the english blends?(smoking something that has been treated with smoke)

Could it be caused by the pipes being in need of a cleaning?

I should be noted that the area was right where the draw holes of the pipes deposit the smoke on the tongue

So, what is your experience, opinions?

2. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I have never had black on my tongue . What you describe is kind disturbing . I'm glad it brushed off ... at least it wasn't serious !

3. AussieTX

AussieTX Active Member

Never had black on my tongue either, my guess is it was just a combination of ash/baccy/saliva in the pipe from not cleaning them.
    Seeing it brushed off I wouldn't worry about it, but I'd give all your pipes a good cleaning before you do the next trip like that.

bubbagump likes this.
  4. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer Member

I would tend to think it was ashes, like AussieTX said.
    I do not think it was the Black Plague bulging on your tongue.

Thuber88 likes this.
  5. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

at first I thought that I charred my tongue, but since there was never any pain I ruled that out...not even any tongue bite.

If I had to guess I would say that the pipes could use a cleaning and tiny particles of the gunk that collects in the pipe's passageway were transported along with the smoke and deposited on my tongue right where they exit the stem.
    As I originally said, brown is far from uncommon, but this was black

Old Codger and ruffinogold like this.
  6. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I will give them a good cleaning (it's not like they were filthy by any means, but were due) and will probably be smoking again in the car on Monday and will report back.

*note* I did get several (3-4) mouthfuls of "goop", which being a liquid could have carried any gunk from the pipe onto my tongue and deposited it there as well.

Rodfather likes this.
  7. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

"Black Tongue" that's a new one on me...:eek: Glad all is well...:)

8. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

Last time I had a black tongue was when I chewed Black Bart gum as a kid. Could something you ate or drank contributed to the discoloration?

9. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I doubt it, just was drinking coffee. It was about a dime sized spot center and a couple of inches back...right where the draw hole would rest if I were clenching

10. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Smoke a cob with the original amber stem a time or two. If you don't already clean your pipes after every use...that'll motivate to to do so. After just one smoke you'll see a good amount of ash in the stem. That's not something that you'd notice with a black stem. Just my $.02...

browny and Old Codger like this.
  11. bosun

bosun Active Member

As mentioned above, probable cause was particles from the pipe breaking loose and sticking to your tongue. Repair as noted.
    Secondary cause was you looking in the mirror. Repair - don't look at your tongue in the mirror again! (GRIN)

Old Codger and dBear like this.
  12. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I don't usually stick my tongue out at myself...plenty of others already sticky their tongues out at me:drly:

JimInks and Old Codger like this.
  13. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member

I love my Kirsten pipe, it gets cleaned once a day, weather it needs it or not. I smoke it all day every day about 10 to 12 bowls and only clean it after my last bowl. About once a week I will smoke a standard briar when I go to town to do my shopping. My Kirsten has never done that to me, even smoking a couple bowls back to back while working on something in my shop.

14. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

well, I just cleaned the two pipes I smoked from and the pipe cleaners were jet black...took two or three (both ends) of the bristle variety before I felt like I was done. Have to say that is about as dirty as I have let any go, so that very well may have been the culprit. Will know more after my next road trip.

Spillproof and Old Codger like this.
  15. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

While I was at it I cleaned 4 other pipes that haven'y been smoked as much. They were no where near as dirty...perhaps I'm onto something

StubrnDutchman likes this.
  16. Bent

Bent Member

Wow, can't say I've had black tongue, and this is the first time I hear of it too.
    My only guess is a dirty pipe, very very very very dirty.
    Were you eating or drinking anything?

17. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Well, not licorice if that is where you are going :xd:
    Just drinking coffee.
    After cleaning those 2 pipes as well as a bunch of others I am thinking that was the culprit because they were far dirtier than any of the others

18. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Well, I was back on the road for over 200 miles today and smoked 5 bowls from the same pipes (and one other) after a good cleaning.
    The same area of my tongue did get a little brown and grey, but far from the black as experienced over the weekend

dBear likes this.
  19. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I would be consulting a doctor if it happens a second time, just to rule anything out. Your health isnt good to take for granted, I did and then mine went down the drain. Being cautious is a good thing in this case. Please at least check with your general practitioner (regular doctor) to see what they think.

DaveyBoy likes this.
  20. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

I would have been more worried if there had been any pain involved or if this was a pattern. Naturally there will be a discoloration when smoking anything and although this was black, it did scrub off relatively easy with a toothbrush.

I actually got more worried several years ago when a small piece of tobacco passed through the pipe and ended up in the back of my mouth between a couple of teeth. I got up the next morning after it had been in there and irritated my gums all night to find them all swollen. Once again after a good brushing and mouthwash everything was better in a couple of hours.
    I can't for the life of me figure how guys that chew do it...or why!?

dBear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.