Scored me some Granger!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I've heard that it is a pretty straightforward burley, with a slight bit of topping.

What are your opinions and experiences?

I'll try it tomorrow. :thankyou:

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Quick and dirty Granger review?

Best tobacco ever when it doesn't taste like burning plastic.

3. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Perhaps, I should not light it, or put a pinch between my cheek and gum!

That bad, huh?

4. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

There seems to have been some quality control issues at some points, and there was a lot of talk about whether Granger in pouches was manufactured at the same place that Granger in cans was manufactured, and if you follow tobaccoreviews.com chronologically, you can literally watch this blend go from a well-liked classic to a fearfully inconsistent one, and the chronic, nagging complaint is that every once in awhile a guy gets a load of Granger that tastes like burning plastic. So I've just avoided it, to be honest. The "good side" sounds wonderful, but the danger is too great...

5. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

If it's good, I wanna try it.

6. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Thanks again Sas.

I'll give it a quick review, tomorrow. However, also realize that sometimes a certain baccy requires a few chances, when it is either liked or discarded.

7. Llynn

Llynn Member

I smoke a lot of Granger and have for years. I have never noticed this plastic thing in any pouch or tub I have smoked. Perhaps I have just been lucky, perhaps my taster isn't as sensitive as some. Granger is one of my favorite OTC.

8. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Hi All,

Got the opportunity to try Granger last year and enjoyed it. I found it a mildish Burley with a slightly sweet taste and an earthy type note in there. Maybe I was just lucky but I got no off tastes from it at all. Personally I prefer Carter Hall and Prince Albert but Granger was fine,

Best to all

Gerry

9. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I gave Granger a go last evening. Suffice to say ... I liked it. Sas, I think you should give it a rematch.

The first thing I noticed was the very nutty (walnutty :groucho:) flavor, more so than the other OTC burleys, such as PA & CH. As Gerry mentioned, there was some sweetness present, but also a slightly bitter finish. IMO, Granger also seemed to have a bit more body than it's above mentioned competition. It also did seem to burn more quickly than the other two, but since I was enjoying it, perhaps I might have puffed a little more often. There was absolutely no bite, here.

This might be the better burely to blend with. I save that for the future.

10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

All right I will. Gonna put in an order at 4noggins one of these days, and I'll tuck some in there.

11. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Sometimes it is like a "rematch" between man (or woman) vs. blend. I love the dog on the tin but I haven't been able to find this in a shop. I prefer to buy in person even if it's an OTC. There's nothing like walking home with a fresh package of tobacco for the smoking rather than waiting for the mailman to show up a few days or more after placing an order.

If I do find it in person, I'm going to pick it up. Thanks for the review and going where few dare to go nowadays based on the reviews. I admire the old standards and I think we should pay more attention to them. They've been around forever and a day for a reason.

Cheers,
    WK

12. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Being you like Granger you may want to try SWR if you havent already !

13. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I bought SWR last week, but returned it. I opened the package and found the baccy, bone dry! Afterwords, I did read somewhere that SWR is rather dry. Does anyone find this to be true?

14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

I've always gone with the caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) approach. I paid my money and I'll take what I bought. I've purchased some bone dry tobaccos and smoked them and enjoyed them. I don't think you can have a closed mind about what's in the bowl. After all, I'll buy something moist, smoke it, and then let the rest sit around for a month before I pick it up again. Unless it is moldy, bad tobacco is a rare bird. I've bought rusty tins with wax paper linings that looked like used toilet paper (sorry) and they contained good smokes.

With all the complaints about wet and "goopy" smokes (not that SWR would qualify as that) I don't see a need to request a fresh package. I assume that SWR ages well like most OTCs. An OTC doesn't need TLC. No offense, but I think you jumped the gun on this one and doubt any harm would have been incurred. Leave your preconceptions behind you and coax the best smoke out of what you've got on hand. You never know when you'll be out on range with nothing else but some dry bits and scrapings in your satchel. Practice makes perfect.

In solidarity,
    WK

15. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It's not a black cav w/ caseing so it's not gonna be that moist . It shouldnt be brittle . It should have alitte give . If it's a touch dry it can always be hydrated . I have a tobacco humidor that dosent let any air in and I can put something dry in and it will be good the next day or two max . I keep it for that reason . If I were to leave a bled in it it would get soaked in a week . The other humidors I have are normal thank goodness . I think " bone " dry is way to dry .It must have sat for a long time or had a bad trip getting there . It's still worth tring again . Buy it somewhere else maybe . I really think you'll like it .

16. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

Yeah, it was bone dry. It crumbled when I took a pinch and rolled it.

I will definitely give it another chance.

17. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

the dryer the swr is the better.

18. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

My last pouch of SWR was really dry as well, but smoked beautifully! Give it another go.

19. Pecci

Pecci Active Member

I bought another pouch. I re-hydrated it, and will try it soon.

Thanks to all!

20. whitebriar

whitebriar Member

i am not sure how the tobacco industry handles logistics--yesterday i bought a couple pouches of SWR and found them quite dry--possibly some older, stored tobacco has been released onto the market??--i am asking, not stating--don't know how the industry handles it's shipping/stocking--

i smoked the SWR dry--good smoke---i introduced some moisture by breathing into the bowl while tobacco was in there--that was good also--i am now in the process of re-hydrating the remainder--that should be even better--i don't think this blend should be too moist at all--

even though i found it dry, i am returning tomorrow for another couple pouches--SWR really is a very good burley tobacco--since it can be re-hydrated, nothing is lost if you really like the blend--

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.