1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Scored me some Granger!

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Pecci, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I've always found SWR to be dry, but I've never found it to be brittle. Here in little Alvarado, there are a few of us pipe smokers and Prince Albert and Sir Walter are big sellers so neither sits on the shelves long enough to go stale. Anyway, I've never noticed a brittleness to SWR, or inconsistent aroma or flavor. I just open the can and leave it sit open for a day or two so that the propy glycol airs-out, then I move it over to my toby jar and drop one of those little round humidifier thingies (pre-soaked in distilled or spring water) in there. Leave it closed for a day or two. Re-open it, re-soak the little round humidifier thingy (yep, that's a technical trade term), and go from there.

I've never had a problem with Granger (or Prince Albert, or Carter Hall, or Velvet) if I "cure it" in the method just mentioned. I think Granger is one of the best tobaccos on the market, and I think that if properly cured it holds it's own against many a "premium" blend. It's beauty is in it's simplicity and straight forwardness. The same could be said about any of the old-time OTC blends.

I've got a Ruger SR9C on lay-away right now, so I don't have a lot of spare cash available. However, once I get that paid off I plan on buying some cans of Granger, Sir Walter, and Carter Hall to add to my cellar. Life is good...

2. ZuluSafari

ZuluSafari Member

We REALLY think alike. I got my SR9 last year...

3. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Sweet handguns they are, and since they're Rugers they're built tougher than a three dollar steak. I generally stick to handguns that I can pocket carry like my Bersa Thunder .380 or Taurus Model 85 snubby, but the SR series has gotten such great reviews that I just had to get one. I've got a CZ-82, which is the Czech's perfected version of the Makarov. Another great gun but way too bulky and heavy for pocket carry. However, it's a hoot to take out on the range, and it's the only gun that I've ever been able to cut the center out of a target with.

Pistol packin' pipe smokers - we can't let Sherlock Holmes and his "Bulldog" get all the credit, now can we. Ain't life grand?

4. Edlj

Edlj Member

I bought a tub of Granger about a month ago. Had never tried it before. First bowl was nasty. Second bowl was nasty. Sent a few ounces to a friend and then let it set. Couple of weeks later I figured what the hell and tried it again.Not so bad! It seems to get better with each bowl I smoke. This tub was a bit damp for me and I had let it set open for a while. Maybe "airing" it helped? Even though it has gotten better,I probably won't buy any more. No as long as I can get CH,PA and SWR.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.