September Toby Order

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by BradNTX, Sep 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Last night was the first evening with moderate temperatures in a good while. I sat outside with the family & smoked a bowl of Old Toby. While Longbottom Leaf is made up of Virginia's with a light vanilla topping, Old Toby is made of aged Virginia's, Burleys, and a touch of Perique. I liked Longbottom pretty well, but Old Toby was heavenly. It was very nutty, smooth, a little sweet, but not overly so, and a tad earthy. It is hard to describe,but it really is a joy to smoke. The flavor was fabulous from start to finish and even left a nice aftertaste when the bowl was doen. I found myself a little sad that the bowl was done. I'll smoke a second bowl tonight and I plan to add Old Toby to my bulk TAD list for next month. I will probably dedicate a pipe to it if the second bowl is near as good as the first.

Updated rating of Toby in Testing:

Old Toby (9)
    Longbottom Leaf (8)
    Dan Tobacco- Sweet Vanila Honeydew (7)

More to come...
    :bing:

2. BradNTX

I took my Diplomat & some Treebeard to work, then forgot to take it with me at lunch. I did, however, smoke a bowl on the way home. I'm going to have to change my rating on Longbottom Leaf because I liked Treebeard better, but it wasn't quite as good as Old Toby. LBL is Virginia's w/vanilla, while Treebeard is Virginia's mixed with Burley and cased in vanilla. It was not an overpowering vanilla, but just a hint. Very nice, smooth smoke with a great flavor.

Updated September TAD ratings:

Old Toby (9)
    Treebeard (8)
    Longbottom Leaf (7)
    Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (7)

I'm taking a roadtrip tomorrow and coming back Wednesday evning. I think I'll take the Treebeard with me, and try the Ruins of Isengard when I get back.

3. Jonny

Jonny Member

Great review on the Vanilla Honeydew! I think I'm going to pick some up when I finish this tin of University flake!

4. BradNTX

I headed out Tuesday morning for Corpus Christi and took Treebeard AND Isengard with me. I rarely smoke in the morning, but the long drive and the thought of that nutty, smooth goodness was too much temptation. I loaded a bowl of Treebeard and happily puffed while listening to the radio and the sounds of my diesel. This second bowl was better than the first and I could see this becoming one of my favorites.

Wednesday for the drive home, I loaded some Ruins of Isengard, which is a blend of Burley, Virginia, Latakia and Cavendish. It smells nice in the bag, and was neither too dry nor too wet. At first light, I was not sure what to think of it. It comes across like a bitey, strong English, but the flavor was very full. I could see a true Latakia lover being into this, but I found it smokable, but not repeat smokable. Not only will I not be ordering more of this, I won't even be smoking a second bowl as I have the other blends. I'm not against Latakia, but it has to be blended near perfectly to my taste (as in Special Blend). It wasn't bad enough to dump it out unfinished, but I would rate it a 5 out of 10, which is the lowest number before being a dumper.

Updated September TAD ratings:

Old Toby (9)
    Treebeard (9)
    Longbottom Leaf (7)
    Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (7)
    Ruins of Isengard (5)

I still have Shortcut to Mushrooms to try yet from this box. I'm not taking it to work today, so I will have plenty of time with it tomorrow evening. Also, I haven't received my Cup O' Joe's box yet... hopefully soon.

5. BradNTX

My two tins of Solani ABF came in from Cup O' Joe's, but still waiting on the Orlik.

I went out with a few friends Friday night and took my Diplomat and the remaining Old Toby to a really neat little local place called "Floore Country Store". They have some big name country bands from time to time and great local bands other weekends. This visit was Doug Moreland, who plays a mean fiddle and has a great voice. Also in his band are an upright bass player, drummer and guitar player. They are one of the best local country bands I've heard, playing an upbeat Texas swing. On top of the great music, I got to smoke two bowls (the last of the Old Toby) and visit with some longtime friends.

Saturday afternoon was hot and muggy. I sat outside and smoked a bowl of Shortcut to Mushrooms. I thought it was a decent smoke, but was bowled over like the reviews and posts have indicated. Before you start flaming, read below... :whistle:

Today is about 10 degrees cooler than it has been at 69. It's also raining softly. I sat on the back deck and smoked my second bowl of Shortcut to Mushrooms. What a difference a day makes. My Diplomat has been in heavy use this past week, trying all the different new weeds. I smoked two bowls Friday night and did not clean it out, leaving a little the heel a little bit oily. I'm thinking it had a negative effect on the STM Saturday. I cleaned my cob out really good and let it sit 24 hours. STM was really smooth, nice and just like the reviews as far as flavor profile. I will be adding STM to my bulk list next month.

6. BradNTX

The last of the September toby order came in today- the Orlik Golden Sliced 100g tin.

We are leaving tomorrow for an off-road/camping trip tomorrow and coming back Sunday. Sometime during the next week I will plan my October order. Part of that order will be the blends I liked from Just for Him. I'm also expecting the delivery of some custom canisters I had made for the Lord of the Rings themed tobies. I hope they come in before we leave!

7. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Custom canisters? Sounds cool...pictures of 'em would be cool, too!

8. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Thanks for some intersting reading, Brad. I think you'll enjoy the OGS. I liked it so much I started cellaring it. I don't ever want to run out!

9. BradNTX

I'll post some pictures when they come in. The UPS truck drove on by while I was outside, so not today...

10. BradNTX

I'm moving Sweet Vanilla Honeydew from a 7 to an 8. I've smoked several more bowls and I've gont from liking it pretty good to really enjoying it. It has a very interesting tobacco flavor with a touch of vanilla that makes you want to keep going back to it. I smoked some at lunch yesterday and am taking it with me to the races tonight.

Sweet Vanilla Honeydew (8)

...and yes, I'd buy it again. I want to keep this stuff in my rotation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.