1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Ser Jacopo

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Tenthgate, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tenthgate

Tenthgate Member

Hey all,

I've been following Ser Jacopo pipes for awhile on a couple sites, one in particular at smokingpipes.com. A pipe i'd had my eyes on for some months, it just went up from 240 to 360, along with all the other ser jacopo pipes.

Anyone know the story? Is there some new import tax or did they lose a pipe maker? I'd been amping myself up for the 240 purchase eventually but the 360 is a bit too much to justify, as nice as it was...

2. Smoker99

Smoker99 Active Member

I have bought 7/8 SerJacs from smokingpipes, but that was 7/8 yrs ago. They were always much cheaper than everyone else. Don't know, maybe they lost their marketing deal with them.

3. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I was introduced to Ser Jacopos roughly the same time that other "2nd tier" Italian carvers came to light... Mastro de Paja, Tonino Jacono, Radice, Ascorti, Becker, etc. They were distinguished from "1st tier" names that had been around longer such as Castello, Savinelli and Caminetto. They were also distinguished as being less expensive.

As we know, the price of Beckers soared while the prices of the others increased at a more reasonable level. Then new Italian names such as Ardor, L'anatra, Viprati and others came along. The prices went up still more.

Ser Jacopos are excellent pipes and every bit as good as any other Italian marque (arguably, of course!). I'm surprised their pricing hasn't skyrocketed by now. I don't know the specific answer to your question but I can tell you that the world has gotten off cheaply with respect to these pipes for a couple of decades now. Perhaps the company is simply making up for lost time.

Err... sorry for the detour that didn't answer your question! :oops:

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Keep saving your money. Estate Ser Jacs can be had for that(and less...or more), but you won't see them usually sit for long. Most times, they are in great shape, too.

5. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Case in point: I just sold an S2 for $100. Less than 1/3 of the updated price for a new one.

6. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Yeah, estate Ser Jacs usually sell pretty quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.