SG 1792 and Tambolaka reviewed

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by jeffbee, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I just received a couple samples in the mail from another user on this forum. He didn't post anything about it publicly, so I won't call him out on it. But when I looked at the stuff in the baggies, I wondered if he was hazing the new guy. So after returning from the laundromat this afternoon, I decided to do a little scientific research.

Sam Gwaith 1792 Flake - Not as scary as it looks. My initial impression was that it looked like road-kill jerkey; a squirrel that had been run over in June and was still stuck to the pavement in September. But upon peeling it apart, I found long, stringy flakes, rather moist. Cool, sweet aroma with a hint of natural licorice. Rubbed it out, dried it, rubbed it out again untill it looked like the contents of a teabag, dried a little longer. I couldn't wait anymore, so I gravity-fed it into a Featherweight, tamped slightly, and applied the initial flame. At first a musty, earthy flavor, lightly sweet, very spicy, almost like a Va/Per. The spiciness burned my nose like horseradish on the first attempt, so I left it to dry in the bowl for a little while longer. Fired it again. A very delightful flavor, though not as strong as I expected from its appearance. A very slight somewhat perfume-like essence, cool and not exactly floral. A delightfull Virginia flavor that tickles the nose with its spiciness.

Tambolaka - already chopped - WOW! Looks and smells like Jagermeister barfed onto the floor and soaked up by pieces of a cigar that got slammed in a car door a few times, allowed to dry, and then chewed up by a dog. I tried to rub it out. Bruised the palms of my hands, which were by then tingly and slightly numb from the nicotine. Put it in the mortar & pestle to no avail - just left some skid-marks. I contemplated going down to the corner Mexi-Mart to obtain a Molcajete (South American mortar & pestle hand-carved from lava, available at every bodega in Los Angeles), but curiosity got the best of me and I dropped a few of these unprocessesed black rocks into an unsuspecting Featherweight. Lit, puffed once, put it down. Dang. I'm going to have to learn some manners if I want to smoke this stuff. God help me if I accidentally inhale. Oh well, the hospital is only two blocks away, and the cell phone is handy. Lit again, puffed a few times. My nose burned and my eyes watered, but the flavor was starting to come through. My tongue was starting to get that bitter taste around the edges like I had eaten too many sweets. Puffed again, very gently, snorking by using the "humming-bird" technique with my tongue. Never thought I would use that in pipe smoking. Wow that's good. Like a Virginia / Burley blend digested by a vegetarian dinosaur. Slightly sweet, barely spicey, robust and full flavored. Light notes of chocolate, licorice, jute rope, and cardboard (the good kind). Burned all the way down to black-speckled grey ash, fully blackening a pipe cleaner that was used for cleanup. This is now at the top of my list. I will be ordering a meter of this in stick form. Loading the Featherweight again...

2. Grammaton

Grammaton Member

Great. Now I want some. :)

3. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Tambolaka is looming large on my radar screen as well.

5. pottsy

pottsy Member

Those were 2 of the most entertaining baccy reviews I have ever read. :thumbsu:

6. Shootinok

Shootinok Member

I'll second that -- Nicely done !

7. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

After wiping away the tears of laughter I thought
    that maybe someone actually sent you some
    christmas coal early and just called it "Tambolaka".
    I certainly don't want to try it based on your
    colourful description! It was quite entertaining
    though! :eek:hyeah:

dp

8. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

I would smoke coal. Probably has that smokey, peety, diesel flavor I'm after.

MMMmmmmm... Anthracite. Lovely bituminous flavor, prone to tongue burn and briar bursting into flames.... Try in a cob first.

9. yinyang

If it's anthracite your after, I live in the middle of 'Anthracite Country'. Tell you what, let's 'trade spaces'. I'll move to sunny California, and you can move to strip mine central. Deal? (My ol' lady is part of this deal, no exceptions!) Wait, is Cali still called the 'People's Republic of...'? I need to think... :eek:hyeah:

10. jeffbee

jeffbee Member

California has two smoking sections. One is Las Vegas, Nevada. The other is Tijuana, Mexico. Other than that, in your house or in your car, and maybe not either of those in a few more months. Oh, and Mac Baren runs about $25 for a 100g tin here. But it doesn't snow, and we have a beach...

11. yinyang

Decisions, decisions...

12. kvv098

kvv098 Member

I am jealous of people who can get so many tastes from tambolaka. Only taste I get is dirt and wormwood bitterness. I would not say that it is knock you pants out strong tobacco, but it surely is very relaxing. I like this toby, but need a lot of sweets to overcome the aftertaste.

13. commonsenseman

commonsenseman Member

Nice reviews!

That Tambo sure packs a punch eh? I smoke it straight most of the time, but sometimes mix it with an OTC Burley to calm it down a little.

14. Strongirish

Strongirish Member

You guys have me wanting to try some of this tobacco from Indonisia. But I notice shipping is more than the tobacco itself. I would like to try a bowl or two before investing in an order from them. Anybody that has some would like to trade a bowl or two of it for something I have and I have a lot, I would appreciate it. Just give me a PM.

15. SSGpiper

SSGpiper Member

Though I have never tried Tambolaka myself, I have noticed people usually do group buys when they order it to dilute the shipping charges. Why haven't I tried it? I've heard comments like "contact high" and workers that prepare it need to "wear protective gear". I have had some varying and serious nicotine needs throughout my life, but that stuff scares me. :startle:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.