1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

SG chocolate flake 1st impression

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Evening everyone,

Well tonight I just jumped into the world of flakes for the 1st time. Ive smoked blends with a bit of broken flakes like peterson's connoiseur but never have I tried a full on flake before.
    I tried to get my self in the mood by looking up a bit of Samuel Gawith stuff online.

[​IMG]
    Here is their company sign outside of their Kendal Brown House. Its something to think that your going to smoke a blend that people have been smoking for a long time.

[​IMG]
    This is a resting place for the pressed SG tobacco.

[​IMG]
    Here is the nice SG tin allong with my Ben wade Black Friar.

[​IMG]

Once the tin is open you can see that the tobacco is wraped in a nice golden color envellope. The tobacco looks very nice almost like mini slices of cake. I tried to pack it like the pros do on youtube and stuffed my pipe. I left the tobacco in the pipe for a good hour from 8pm to 9pm and at 9 I headed outside.
    So I dont know if the white crystals is actuall salt? but while i did my 1st light I got attacked by a good amount of salt taste in my mouth for the 1st few puffs. Unfortunately I wasnt able to keep the tobacco lit, most of my time was taken trying to light the tobacco then to trying to enjoy it.

I will have to give this tobacco some major drying out time. Maybe ill leave the tin open over night?
    I really wanted to enjoy my 1st flake experience but it will have to go to another time.

English Chocolate 1 - Chocolate flake 0 hehe

Thanks for reading

David

Mington, Bman64 and TheLonePipeman like this.
  2. andrew

andrew Member

You just need to let it air dry a little out on the kitchen table. Just unfold a napkin or paper towel and let some of the torn off/rubbed out baccy sit for 30 minutes or so. Some will say longer, but you'll get decent results as long as the humidity isn't too high (we have really low humidity here).

Mington likes this.
  3. Morse

Morse Active Member

Nice first impression Dave - thanks. Drying time will definitely improve the experience for you.

Mington likes this.
  4. David Emond

so that salty taste at 1st was that normal for this blend?

5. Burner

Burner Member

For me SG Flakes work only when rubbed out and allowed to dry for an hour or so. Chocolate flake is a really excellent smoke - Enjoy.

Mington likes this.
  6. Charles

Charles Member

I don't see a lot of people talking about this stuff and I've always wondered why. It's fantastic and I'm smoking some right now. I let this stuff dry an hour or so. Any less and it's impossible to light and will bite the hell outta me. I cannonball it while it's damp and stuff it after its dried so it keeps that great shape. Enjoy!

Mington likes this.
  7. Bman64

Bman64 Member

What an insightful review! That raises the bar for my future reviews. I have to get some of that flake for true :)
    Since I smoke G&H La Flake daily (just finished a tasty bowl) I would think that would be right up my alley.
    Thanks a bunch

Mington likes this.
  8. David Emond

so do you guys get a salty taste when you 1st light this flake up? it was like i was gargaling with salt water when you have a soar throat.

9. Bman64

Bman64 Member

On my palate I get a soapy taste with what I perceive to be Lakeland blends, but as I have never tried that flake I cannot directly address your question. I'd have to break the individual flake up, rub it thoroughly , let it sit in the a/c for at least an hour prior to smoking. I believe by the end of that tin you'll have a tasty respect for that fine flake.
    It's just awesome to know they are still making many of the blends in a tradition that's over 200 years old.....simply astonishing.

David Emond likes this.
  10. Charles

Charles Member

Sometimes I get a salty taste from tobacco but its not particular to anyone blend and it's off and on. I do not think it's the blends fault, sometimes our bodies do weird things. It's probably just your body chemistry. I remember for 2 weeks straight one time I had this overwhelming salty taste in my mouth, couldn't smoke, eat, or drink without that awful taste. Wait a bit and come back to it. It's a fantastic blend and I would hate for you to throw in the towel on it now...but should you do...dibs!

Bman64 likes this.
  11. tungbite

tungbite Member

The white stuff is not salt. It is the sugar that comes out with their aging process. Now, maybe the salty taste will become sweet!? :p:

sillyoldbear and David Emond like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.