SG Full Virginia Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

How do you guys like to enjoy your SG FVF? fold-and-stuff or rubbed out? in what kind of pipe (chamber shape)?

I find this flake impossible to keep lit in fold-and-stuff form in a pipe with a narrow, conical shaped chamber (which I'd think is optimal for smoking flakes), even after half a day's drying time in open air. Granted, it has been quite muggy here in the Northeast, but the wetness of the tobacco is really unusual...

2. furious

furious Junque collector

when in doubt, rub it out...

Rewster66, Capt, Mister Moo and 4 others like this.
  3. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Wet...that's SG for ya...u could always try chewing....

DublinBecker likes this.
  4. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I smoke it folded & stuffed, but in a 3/4", fairly tall, flat bottom, not conical. I don't have any small bore, conical shaped bowls. I do have a 13/16" conical bore bowl, but I cannon ball it in that one. Too large for fold & stuff. Either way, gettting the initial charring light(s) down is what keeps it lit for me.

DublinBecker likes this.
  5. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

I like Gawith flakes partially rubbed out, to about a broken flake consistency. Drying them is key. Fresh BBF and FVF can use about 2 hours on the table before you pack a bowl.

6. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I usually rub it out, but then again I usually rub out most of my flakes.

DublinBecker and Monkeyshine like this.
  7. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I have been rubbing it out and that works for me.

DublinBecker likes this.
  8. KMahoney

KMahoney Member

I'll have to try rubbing it out. I just received 4 tins in the mail and have only smoked a couple of flakes but so far I much prefer GAF. I couldn't keep it lit even after 6 hours of dry time unless I was really puffing on it. At that point it lost all flavor and started to bite.

DublinBecker likes this.
  9. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

I dis-assemble FVF as much as I can so it fits in a coffee "chopper" and change it from flake to more of a cube cut. I then place the ground FVF on a file folder to dry.

I'm finishing up a jar of FVF that was gifted to me just over a year ago. I jarred it right off the bat. It sure didn't loose any moisture in the jar. I swore of FVF due to the very high moisture content which makes the high cost of the tobacco even higher. Actually, I prefer LNF to FVF, especially when price is taken into consideration.

WyoBob

DublinBecker likes this.
  10. muddler

muddler Active Member

I dry my SG flakes to just this side of crisp & then rub them out.

Mister Moo and DublinBecker like this.
  11. Bman64

Bman64 Member

Nice.

DublinBecker likes this.
  12. Tsal

Tsal Well-Known Member

I rub all flakes out. For some reason my mind tells me that it's more flavourful.. Smokes evenly and I luv the ritual.

Edit** I use to Z pak my flakes until I started to meticulously dismantle them.

DublinBecker likes this.
  13. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. It looks like most of you rub it out. For some reason I had thought that the fold-and-stuff method is the best way to enjoy a flake, and the way flakes are intended to be smoked...

14. cakeanddottle

cakeanddottle Member

The problem with fold and stuff is that it works OK with less substantial German flakes, but denser English flakes you'll get a two hour smoke out of a group 3. The effect is similar to over packing your pipe, IMO.

DublinBecker likes this.
  15. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I rub my flakes out in two stages; well rubbed and broken flake consistency. I load the larger broken flake portion first and the finer tobacco toward the top.

DublinBecker likes this.
  16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I have a preference for fold and stuff with flakes but I haven't smoked FVF since I started folding and stuffing. SG does tend to be on the damp side

DublinBecker and BradNTX like this.
  17. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is located in an undisclosed bunker

I like to fully rub out my SG flakes and I do not dry FVF out much at all. I treat it the same as Stonehaven. The one thing I am very cognizant about though is not over packing. I leave it light and tamp to good, springy pack after charring.

Mount Mandolin and DublinBecker like this.
  18. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

FVF is one I rub out, same with BBF. Come to think of it, I rub out more than I fold and stuff, but it depends on the blend.

DublinBecker likes this.
  19. raf66

raf66 Member

I rub out all my flakes, including FVF. I've tried the fold and stuff method on various flakes and, even with some drying time, I can't keep them lit. Smoked my first bowl of pipe tobacco more than 20 yrs. ago so maybe you really CAN'T "teach an old dog new tricks".

DublinBecker likes this.
  20. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Smoking how you enjoy it is most important, but people shouldn't give up on fold & stuff so easily. Practice will alleviate the relight issues and the flavor benefits are worth it. I smoke flakes a little moist and live the fuller flavor of F & S, and seldom relight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.