1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

SG Full Virginia Flake

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by DublinBecker, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slr

slr Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I rub it out.
    DublinBecker likes this.
  2. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Reassuring Bovine Moderation Moderator

Jun 10, 2009
    There are some flake tobaccos that can only be described as being in a leathery class by themselves. FVF, 1792 and Stonehaven come immediately to mind. These guys just won't open up and breath oxygen for combustion's sake without a lot of encouragement. FVF burns well when it's really rubbed out and so dry it cracks when you bend it - but it loses some depth. And it's a bear to light when it isn't well rubbed.

With the aforementioned leathery flakes I've found there is some intersection of "not too dry" & "really busted up" where it'll light with coaxing, more-or-less stay lit, smoke cool and offer up excellent flavor. Always fill very loosely with the leather-boys and be assured the application of heat will quickly soften- and expand it in the bowl, improving the burn and spilling out the nuances.

There are certainly easier flakes to prepare and smoke than FVF but many of them do not give up their secrets willingly. FVF definitely requires coaxing and experimentation to find the sweet spot. It is not for the impatient.
    Mount Mandolin, Capt and Stonewall like this.
  3. Capt

Capt Active Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Microwaved, then rubbed out. Only 8 seconds.
    DublinBecker and Rewster66 like this.
  4. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

Feb 12, 2011
    This man knows what he is talking about!!! :thu2:
    DublinBecker and Capt like this.
  5. DublinBecker

DublinBecker Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Thanks Moo. I have also taken out the jar of Balkan Flake I previously banished before I knew the right way to smoke a pipe. Such a savory smoke. There's plenty of incentive to get it right...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.