SG Kendal vs SG FVF

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Jeebs, Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Never had Kendal plug... Is their a big difference... which is your favorite... or, are they 2 different animals....

2. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

I've yet to try Kendal myself, and I would be interested to hear about it. I believe it is a "Lakeland" blend, with some of those interesting (or some would say soapy, lol) flavors to it, and FVF is (to me) just a full, delicious Virginia. Interested to see what people have to say about this, because there seem to be some experienced Lakeland connoisseurs around here, and I am anything but that, having only tried Bracken Flake.

By the way, that Bracken Flake is one WEIRD tobacco. I cannot figure it out. The flavor is either just not there or it's very elusive, because I cannot pull anything out of it. I've tried fold-and-stuff and fully rubbed and everything in between, and I can't get anything out of that one yet.

Jeebs likes this.
  3. Capt

Capt Active Member

Not even close together.

Jeebs likes this.
  4. TxPipesmoker

TxPipesmoker Active Member

I have smoked lots of Kendal plug. It's just pressed Best Brown Flake, but a little more flavourful. As Capt. said " Not even close together"

Jeebs likes this.
  5. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Capt... What are you saying... What is the better

6. Capt

Capt Active Member

Kendall is great, but FVF is much better. However, its apples to oranges.

Jeebs likes this.
  7. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Yup...agree with Mr. Capt.
    I like KP, but I like FVF better.
    FVF is 4 star in my book.

Mount Mandolin and Jeebs like this.
  8. Mount Mandolin

Mount Mandolin Active Member

Agreed. Although one thing that's odd about SG flakes, I like them rubbed out almost exclusively. I don't rub them out quite all the way, I leave it a little bark-ish, and I smoke it out of my Canadian or my Pete System. Let it burn nice and slow and there are few Virginia tobaccos in the world that can compete with the old standard, FVF. I just have trouble smoking SG flakes folded and stuffed.

Although I must say, I am really looking forward to receiving a shipment of Hal O' The Wynd that I ordered today, along with four ounces of Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake. I'm on a VA kick, and I think Red Raparee is next, even though it's kind of a weird one. I've heard too many good things about that one to let it pass by, and Rattray's seems to be very highly regarded.

9. Capt

Capt Active Member

MM, you'll enjoy the Twist Flake, it is a good one.

Mington likes this.
  10. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

Yes the Twist Flake is a good one. Careful of it ghosting a pipe. I just smoked a bowl of a straight VA flake in the same pipe that I smoked some Twist Flake in the last time and I swear I was smoking Twist Flake. Us a meer or a cob for the Twist Flake if ya got one as they tend not to ghost as much as a Briar.

SouthBound likes this.
  11. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

Hmmm...didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!

12. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Sometimes I'll smoke LNF in the same bowl just to get a little whiff of the ghost.

Mington likes this.
  13. smokehouse

smokehouse Member

That does sound good I will have to try that, as I smoke those two often.

Glad I could help!!

14. Jeebs

Jeebs Active Member

Keep your eyes open today...........

15. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I prefer Kendal Plug at the moment, but it really (and I mean really!) depends on my mood. They are very different blends. Kendal Plug is much more like Best Brown Flake (just in plug form....otherwise the same blend) from what I understand, though I have not smoked BBF.

They are both pure VA blends, but Kendal Plug is much sweeter. At times almost too sweet. I think this is, when I'm in the mood for it, a great thing. It's like tobacco candy....pure tobacco flavor with no added toppings, flavors, or essences, but still very sweet. A dessert blend for the guy who doesn't care too much for aromatics.

FVF is, of course, a little bit sweet, but less so than KP. It has a deeper, earthier flavor in my opinion, while Kendal Plug is a little brighter and lighter in taste generally.

As has been said, as far as two VA blends can be different this is sort of like apples to oranges. What I prefer depends on mood largely, but I really do love the Kendal Plug.

FlatbushPaul and Jeebs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.