SG vs.GH productio ?'s

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Puff The Magic, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

So why does GH seem to have zero problems stocking the world whereas SG seems to be rather anemic at best?

GH just a bigger operation and uses modern equipment? GH not as picky about tobacco selection(s)? Combination of reasons? Anyone know?

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    Cogito ergo puff

2. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Something I was wondering about as well. Sorry I don't know.

3. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

SG had a devastating flood last year and tobacco is a seasonal crop. Think of tobacco as you would wine. Then think what would happen if a winery lost a large amount of production, inventory, and shipping time. Now you can kinda see SG's problem.

...add to that the problem/recall of tins with seal failure, all at the same time.

4. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I heard of these issues, guess I thought both companies were in the same area, which would mean similar flood problems. Dunno. I'd rather SG take their time in straightening out their problems...they have plenty of loyal customers insuring solvency. (I'm thinking of this possible Latakia laced bulk shipment, BTW.)

5. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I'm aware they had a flood, broken vintage machinery (they ONLY use vintage original machinery), failed tin seals as well as several other complaints about quality (using sub-optimal leaf for their blends, "tainted" blends, etc.). I know they are a small operation and have had multiple down-turns in the past years. Seems to me that if they'd take a good look at how popular their toby is (worldwide) and be a touch creative about production, they can capitalize on it and really come out with a "win-win" situation.

To me, it's just very suspicious/mysterious as to why SG is announcing opening up new markets (South East Asia, and Australia/New Zealand) when they can't even keep up with the existing ones. Strange.........

I love some of their blends but in their absence, I've acquired many other tobaccos that I find to be just as good (if not better) for several reasons. I'll buy when they are available but I just wonder if there is more that comes into play here beyond just plain "bad luck". I know I don't see it all, nobody other than SG does. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into their business model and if it is indeed the business model that's making their tobaccos scarce in some of their committed die-hard markets such as in the USA market. Maybe the supposedly "tainted" St James Flake (w/latakia) is their "last laugh" on how crazy it is in the US and how the hoarders just suck it up in a matter of seconds as it does come available. Maybe they're laughing at the US Pipe smokerz and saying, "Those yanks will smoke anything with an SG label on it......even horse-****". Yes, I'm just kidding here but ONLY SG knows for sure.

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff

P.S. Thanks for allowing me to vent. BTW, I just scored a major TAD run of SG Bulks and none are tainted (BBF: 1lb, Kendal Cream Flake: 1/2lb, Firedance Flake: 2lbs, Squadron Leader: 3lbs) with the SL having latakia in it and it's supposed to have it. None seems "weird". Still waiting on the FVF & Navy Flake (1lb each), so we'll see on the FVF (the NF is supposed to have latakia) so it's just the FVF that is in question for me. Didn't order any SJF since Escudo and 2015 holds me nicely as well as other Va-Pers by C&D, H&H, GLP, and many other weed blenderz.

6. Bandit Rider

Bandit Rider New Member

.I know how you guys feel, but I for one have just moved on to GH, and McCelland blends, and I don't know that I will go back to SG. If they can't supply my modest needs why purchase their
    products. Just my two cents.
    [/quote]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.