1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sharing a Sample of the Leaf

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Artistik, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Last Saturday I went to the UPS store to send a fellow PSFer in Puerto Rico some American coffee. I also included a couple of Zip Lock bags of tobacco for him to try, about 2 oz in each bag. Last night I received a letter in the mail that the package was not sent as it contained tobacco products that were against Federal and UPS regulation to be placed in the postal system. I searched Google to find that pipe tobacco and cigars are exempt from this ban. I talked to the owner of the local UPS store and he confirmed that tobacco of all kinds, except cigars, were banned. Now I know that alot of you members send each other samples and I have received some in the past. Also, there is this big box pass thing going on. How do you guys handle this restriction on mailing tobacco? Is it simply "don't ask, don't tell"?

2. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

My understanding of the regulation was that pipe tobacco is ok.

3. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Did you put tobacco on the Customs declaration?

4. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

No. A customs declaration is not required for PR. I had UPS package everything for me.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Ship 'loose tea' next time.
    ;)

Schmitz Bitz and Johnny Dingo like this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Just package everything yourself and take to the UPS store for shipping, it would be the same thing at the Post Office if they see you putting tobacco products in a Priority Mail box to send to someone they will refuse the package.

7. OrganizdMadman

OrganizdMadman Member

So let me get this straight, pipe tobacco is illegal to mail back and forth within the United States? Or does this just apply to trying to send it outside the 50 states?

8. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

These stupid laws make me want to go all Yosemite Sam.:bangin:

user2725 likes this.
  9. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

10. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

I just use USPS.

user2725 likes this.
  11. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Guess we're all a bunch of outlaws..

user2725 likes this.
  12. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I will absolutely not use UPS, DHL, or Purolator for any shipments I make to anyone. I recently found out that these companies have Broker departments within their companies that pour over international shipments like this. I paid dearly for tobacco shipped from an eastern U.S. etailer on two occasions now.

Ridiculous charges that nearly cost as much as the tobacco (or retail clothing items too). I've sent samples via Purolator to people here and have never heard boo from them in regard to receiving it. These companies can hold your goods hostage indefinately (according to the customer service rep) if it doesn't have a proper packing slip with description and value on it. I know because it happened to me just recently.

Never! Never ship any tobacco via UPS, DHL or any other big name courier. They are set up to ding your wallet. Old fashioned USPS or Canada Post is the way to go. It may take longer (ok, much longer) but at least it arrives at your door without someone standing there with a debit machine waiting to collect their slice of the pie.

MacNutz and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  13. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

USPS Priority is 3-5 days US.

14. user2725

user2725 Active Member

so will you be getting the package back?

15. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

I never use the couriers either. Because of their custom brokerage departments they ding you for customs and anything they can whether or not it is legitimate. I sent a music CD to an artist that was designing the cover for me and UPS hit him for a ten dollars customs fee. Completely illegitimate. Depending on what you are sending, first class mail is the way to go. The time difference has been minimal for stuff I've dealt with.

Stonewall likes this.
  16. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Yes. I called them and asked them to ship the coffee and other items and I would come by and pick up the tobacco. I purchased cushioed envelopes at WalMart so I will package everything from now on myself and take it to the Post Office.

SouthBound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.