1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Sherlock Holmes/Pipe Fans.....

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by carroll brown, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carroll brown

carroll brown Member

Good Morning All:
    As a new member and writer of a soon to be published mystery novel I have collected a number of public domain Sherlock Holmes old time radio files and a few of Sir Arthur Canon Doyle old Vids. I have Deduced that many pipemen share this common bond. I have also included many pipe referances in my novel as did Sir Arthur, not that I will ever be in his catagory as a writer! In fact I have at least 20 more chapters to complete before I can really be considered a writer my wife tells me. All that being said... if any of my fellow pipemen would like copies of these historic files, I be happy to forward copies for your reading and viewing pleasure. Just send me an email and I will forward as soon as my wife gives me permission. By the way today is RITUAL DAY for my son and I, 3 months... hope I am not over doing it!

HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE DAY:bing:

IrishRover, jpberg and GregL like this.
  2. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Soon to be published, with only 20 chapters left to be written?!? Who's your editor, some guy named Moriarty?:ngty:

GregL likes this.
  3. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Moriarty or Moran.

Looking forward to the book!

4. carroll brown

carroll brown Member

I am full of optimism at the soon to be age of 71, if all else fails I will self-publish and leave my very rich widow spend the proceeds!

5. GregL

GregL Member

I, for one, am looking forward to your book, Carroll! Doyle should have used more pipe references as far as I'm concerned. :sh:

IrishRover likes this.
  6. Klauswermann

Klauswermann Member

It's funny, I was talking to the old lady that managed a smoke shop I frequent and she told me that when the first Sherlock Holmes movie came out she saw a 200% improvement in pipe sales, that quickly died off.

7. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Have read all the Holmes, been looking into other Doyle stuff. Been thru "Valley of Fear" 3 or 4 times.
    Just got a Kindle gifted to me , somebody upgraded, and it had Mike Ashley's "Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures" been stuck in it for two days.

If you guys want to list any good reads I'd be thankful...
    now if the wife would let me smoke and read in the house.................. :beck:

8. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

The only thing I found that I liked about Holmes was his pipe. However, he smokes em way to fast in his video games for my taste

9. Bob K

Bob K Member

First things first ... in the Doyle stories, Holmes only smoked straight pipes. Look at the original Paget drawings. The curved pipe (the calabash) wasn't associated with Holmes until 1901 when the actor William Gillette portrayed Holmes on the stage in New York. Reason? He couldn't say his lines with a straight pipe in his mouth.

Actually in the Canon (or "Conan" if you prefer) there are more references to Holmes smoking cigarettes than pipes.

There is one reference (can't remember the story) of Holmes staying up all night contemplating a case, and smoking a pound of shag (fine cut cigarette tobacco) in a clay!! Good grief.

10. Beefcube

Beefcube Member

Yep just got done one in the past few days where he told Watson to stay at a hotel because he was going to be thinking and smoking heavy all night.

11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Looking forward to the completion of the book..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.