1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

She's my problem child!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by jason1977, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

So I've had this Comoy straight pot pipe for about a year now. I've yet to have a bowl I've enjoyed. It doesn't smoke well & I think it's because it has a wider chamber than the rest of my pipes. It COULD be the way I pack it, but I highly doubt it. No matter what I put in there, no matter the cut, blend, what have you, there is something not right w. this pipe. I spent $80 on it, & I'm kinda hesitant to throw $80 in the fire pit next time I have a bonfire, but that's about all it seems to be good for.

~Does ANYONE have a pipe w. a wide chamber? Does it smoke well? Is there something you do differently w. that one as opposed to the other pipes you own? I wanna give this thing a fair shake, but I'm ready to reduce her to cinders, lol. Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions!

2. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

My widest chamber is 7/8 of an inch wide. I find that I have to pack it tighter than any of my other pipes. I can only assume that the size of the chamber is the reason why. It really sings with a tightly packed bowl.

jason1977 likes this.
  3. Goat

Goat Active Member

I have three pipes with 1" or wider bowls. In two of those I have to wad the baccy up into a ball before I load them and then they burn great. The other one is an IMP Meerschaum and it doesn't care what I do, that thing is a baccy incinerator..:ngty:

Old Codger and jason1977 like this.
  4. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

That's probably what I have to do because I use the same method as I do w. my other pipes. I knew it had to be different somehow, I just didn't know what. That could very well be it.

5. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Glad I read this thread, I have a wide "pot" shaped pipe that I've been cleaning up in the recent lot of estates. I usually pack on the loose side and probably would have overlooked it for a bit...

jason1977 likes this.
  6. Alan Dye

Alan Dye Member

I've had a few wide bowl pipes in the past. Cut flake in quarter inch cuts across the grain with a pair of scissors onto a sheet of paper and then gravity fill those cube-like forms into the hopper. A light tamp and go seems to work. I have to admit to preferring a taller narrow bowl, but I mostly smoke flake, not ribbon.

jason1977 likes this.
  7. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

I have this Comoys Shape #215Pot, an Old Bruyere and it smokes very well, better than my other Comoys (#256 Bent Billiard). I do pack it on the light side and only smoke heavy lat's. It passes a big cleaner easily and has a wonderful draw. The stem is also a delight. This one is pre-Cadogan (3 piece "C" logo). Is yours by chance post-Cadogan? I've had a few of those that were just mediocre (and sold).
    [​IMG]

jason1977 and WrightwoodJohn like this.
  8. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Get a 11/64 drill bit and run it gently from the mortise to the bowl. Widen that airway. Then take a countersink bit and run it on the end of the tenon. Done.

9. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Hell, send it to me and I'll tool 'er out for you if you like.

10. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

[​IMG]

This is mine. The "Tradition 495"

11. jason1977

jason1977 Active Member

Mine is the Tradition 495, but yeah, pretty much the same diameter

[​IMG]

12. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

Mine passes a 5/32" drill bit but not a 11/64"

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

I had a Peterson pot that was drilled at about 1/8" and it smoked awful. When I build a pot, I cut a huge airway, and people say they smoke great. 5/32 should be enough.

Quite possible that the stem is restricted in some way too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.