1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping a pipe?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by afiaowo, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

Hello all.

I’m sending a pipe overseas. I would like to know if it’s best to ship the pipe with the stem removed from the shank?

Thanks!

2. furious

furious Junque collector

People usually have mixed feelings about this, but I think it's better to separate since damage to the tenon is less likely to occur in shipping.

user2725 likes this.
  3. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

If you don't remove the shank there is a slight possibility of the tenon snapping if the package is dropped at just the wrong angle. Also the cargo holds of airliners are not climate controlled, IIRC. At cruising altitude you are looking at rather severe cold temps. Maybe nothing would happen, maybe the briar might contract more than the tenon causing a cracked shank. Better safe than sorry. I always separate them when I mail them.

Professor likes this.
  4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

The extra effort required to ship it separated is minimal so I figure it's worth it even if the chance of breakage is only miniscule. Better safe than sorry and all that.

5. afiaowo

afiaowo Member

My question was based on what I've read in regards to the shank being the weak point on a pipe. I never thought about the extreme temperature changes though. Good points all around.

Thanks!

6. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

When in doubt, pull it out.

7. colorduke

colorduke Active Member

I should of did that years ago :rofl:

WAMPipe13 and Basil Meadows like this.
  8. mlyvers

mlyvers Member

great question. i sold 2 GED PREHISTORIC PIPES to a guy on another forum. i left the stems in the pipes, the buyer never complained about the stems or the pipes after he recieved and smoked both. however i think it might be wise to remove the stems before shipping, to reduce contracting and expanding of the tendon during shipping process because of heat and cold climates in transport. i see where this could cause a cracked shank or a loose stem. i think i was lucky that nothing happened to the pipes during shipping. i would remove those stems before shipping off.

mike.

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Remove the stem .. period

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.