short term storage

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by idiotbox37, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

when buying by the ounce at local shops they give me the tobacco in essentially zip lock bags. i'm still in the sampling stage of my piping career so i tend to just buy 2-4oz at a time of various blends. i noticed the tobacco aroma easily seeps through the bags so i'm assume moisture is as well. i know that mason jars are the preferred method for cellaring but what about storing bulk that is to be used regularly? would something like the screw on tupperware stuff work well? plastic would be preferred since i travel with my blends.

thanks for the input!

2. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

The only container I can think of that
    would suffice for "on the go" will be
    a tobacco pouch. ziplok baggies are
    only good for about a week at max.

dp

3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

If you're going to smoke it within a month or maybe two, I might just leave it in the bag. Most bulk stuff starts out a little on the wet side anyway and some drying can improve a lot of blends. Otherwise small screw-on plastic containers would work fine. I was going to suggest pint-size mason jars until I got to your last sentence- even if you're not going to do the whole heat'n'cellar thing mason jars still work pretty well for a desktop container. They're great at retaining moisture and also let you have a clear look at all that beautiful leaf :w00t:

You could also recycle some OTC pouches you may have lying around, they're usually made of sterner stuff than your typical Glad bag and can retain moisture for a good while.

4. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

An interesting question. Tobacco pouches are good, but I suppose if you carry multiple blends around, they could get cost prohibitive. Tupperware-type containers would probably hold moisture and keep the flavors and aromas from mingling better than zip-lock bags just based on the mil thickness of the plastic, but the air space inside the container is going to be a greater issue in terms of drying out the tobacco than the amount of air passing through it's walls as you use the tobacco up. Nonetheless, I would still feel better about using them than baggies, but I'd throw a humidifier disk in if the moisture level seems low.

5. qwik

qwik Member

HC said:An interesting question. Tobacco pouches are good, but I suppose if you carry multiple blends around, they could get cost prohibitive HC I too gave this a thought, -->Boswell pipes has cheaper style tobacco roll-up pouches 4.90$ Anybody used these the good bad or ugly on-em dj

6. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Before I got mason jars, I used those little tupperware containers and they were fine for a month or two. When I go away for the weekend, I use a combo pipe/tobacco pouch and it works well, but even my OTCs are a little drier after a couple of days.

7. Prof

Prof Member

Hey, I am telling you, the tube vaults are the tobacco travel solution; cheap, indestructible, food quality, easy to carry, air tight...I have convinced several pipe people here of their use. I have probably 15 different blends in tubes right now, can pick and run.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/giant-test-tubes-15-pack/p/CE-TTBSB15/

These are the things that two liter bottles are made from!

B

PS- they hold easily 4 good bowls or so well packed.

8. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

hmmm, very interesting idea. i think i'll have to pick some of these up. i picked up some ziplock containers and they hold about 2oz of unpacked flake.

9. idiotbox37

idiotbox37 Member

ever have issues w/ the tobacco getting stuck in the bottoms? looks too deep for a standard tool to reach.

10. Prof

Prof Member

No, all you have to do is put the cap and whip the tube around, shaking it to the bottom, and bob is your mother's brother.

That being said, you can use them for all kinds of things- I have one with a first aid kit in it for hiking, and I have one full of Everclear that I can dip long stemmed pipe cleanwrs in for cleaning, another has a short sectioned handgun clea ing kit in it...I used another for a geocache vault...they are multipurpose.

B

11. Prof

Prof Member

Yes but unlike ziplocks, these are airtight and water tight, and you could run a car over them and they wouldn't break (very thick walls).

12. Schmitz Bitz

Schmitz Bitz Member

Funny, I was going to suggest cigar tubes as was recommended to me somewhere (funny how one can never find the post they are looking for when they actually want to reference it...) - these tubes Prof posted look like a great alternative for those who don't have a stockpile of them.

You might also try bugging your local B&M; mine hooks me up with Romeo y' Julieta tubes (they are aluminum, which I prefer to glass or plastic for tossing in the camp gear - less chance of shattering) for a dime a piece...I rub a touch of beeswax on the inner rim of the lid to ensure I get a good seal, they work like a charm.

13. Prof

Prof Member

Seriously, there is a youtube video from CountyComm that sells these things as survival gear tubes (for a lot more money by the by) where they drive an Explorer or Expedition over one of these tubes and they dont break! See in the vacuum forming process to blow these tubes into 2 liter bottles, they must be heated and blown up..so originally the walls are very thick, and are not any where as flimsy as cigar tubes, and the inside diameter is closer to a quarter size, so much larger most all cigar tubes I have...AND they are clear, so you can see the tobacco.

By the way, I have no affiliation with the sites selling these or producers of the tubes, I just use them a lot!

I am putting several with tobacco samples in the box pass, so maybe some of you can weigh in?

B

14. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Those look awesome! I bet taking them through airport security full of crumbled brown plant matter would get you some looks though :eek:hyeah:

15. Prof

Prof Member

Not even a peep. Went to a funeral from Knoxville to Buffalo via Cleveland, and back, two weeks ago, had my pipes and four tubes (penzance, wilderness, escudo, and squadron leader if you want to know) in carry ons, they didn't say a word about them...didnt even blink. But kept my PROFANITY NOT ALLOWED 6 oz bottle of shampoo...PROFANITY NOT ALLOWEDs. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.