1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you stand a pipe up after you smoke it?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WrightwoodJohn, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

I read awhile back that you should stand a pipe up (as in a pipe rack) bowl down after you smoke it. This allows any moisture to move towards the bowl. Is this really necessary? If you have a high end pipe you might want to put back in the sock in a safer place, or if it's a carved meerschaum pipe I would think it impractical to stand up. Thoughts?

2. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

It might not be necessary but I like to. I keep mine in a rack so it's not a big deal.

3. SenatorXMG

SenatorXMG Member

I don't think it's necessary if you were to first run a pipe cleaner through it to remove the bulk of moisture first.

IrishRover likes this.
  4. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Agree

5. KevinP

KevinP Member

And allow it to air dry. I was recently smoking in a coffee shop, finished, dumped out the ash, cleaned out the pipe with a cleaner, put it in its sock and then into my bag. A good 24 hours later I took it out to smoke again but it was still visibly wet. (I do know better but obviously needed the reminder.)

I don't see standing it up as accomplishing much more than influencing where the moisture ends up. Completely in the bowl or partially in the bowl: how much difference is that going to make, really?

WrightwoodJohn and dwaugh like this.
  6. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I thought this was a thread about dating, sorry:xd:

7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I've gotten in the practice of doing this; I was surprised at how much moisture actually gathers in the bowl when stood on end.

After smoking, I religiously take a cloth and wipe the bowl out, put a cleaner in the stem and stand it on end in the stand with a paper towel in the bowl to absorb the moisture. After a couple of hours I dab a cloth in whisky and lightly wipe the bowl again.

8. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

It helps. I've found the most important thing is regular use of pipe cleaners.

9. Eddie

Eddie Member

Instead of putting a tissue in the bowl, wouldn't leaving it open for air to circulate be enough?

10. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Same here! My response was going to be "Only if it insists on meeting your mother right away". :D

dwaugh likes this.
  11. dmkerr

I've heard that the more moisture you can get to the bowl, the faster it'll evaporate. At least, that's the conventional wisdom as I heard it. I can't comment on its validity, however.

12. furious

furious Junque collector

I think this idea was originally spread by the ad men at Decatur back in the 1940s to get pipesters to buy more racks.

WrightwoodJohn, zirrow and dmkerr like this.
  13. Eddie

Eddie Member

It stands to reason that the areas with more air flow will dry quicker. Think about putting your swimming stuff over the bath vs leaving it in the bag once you get home.

zirrow and dmkerr like this.
  14. dmkerr

You guys and your common sense! :D

15. dmkerr

Could very well be.

16. FlatbushPaul

FlatbushPaul Cellar is in an undisclosed Bunker

I do stand my pipes up in a pipe stand but I thoroughly clean them out before hand. I take a paper towel and swirl it around in the bowl and clean the stem with pipe cleaners until they come out dry and clean. when I put it in the stand it is pretty dried for all intensive purposes. Of course the wood needs to dry out but there is no "puddles" left in the pipe.

Paul

17. dwaugh

dwaugh Moderator Moderator

I suppose one could make an argument that if the pipe is put away warm, with the bowl down, that the hot should rise up through the stem thereby bring fresh air into the pipe. I've seen one argument for storing the pipe with the bowl down is so that moisture can flow out of the pipe, I don't really buy this argument, as I would rather have the moisture flow though the non-porus stem, rather than have a chance to collect, and possible be absorbed, in the wooden bowl where it will take longer to evaporate. Like KevinP was getting at I doubt it makes that much difference, and surely the direction of air current in the room would have a more profound effect than the orientation of the pipe. :msty:

18. shadow

shadow Active Member

Folks: The key to it all is to let the pipe rest after a smoke. Clean it, store it so that air can circulate... I wouldn't store it in a bag to be honest.
    A rack is a nice thing to have; put your pipe in there, bowl downwards, and you're ready to enjoy it all over again!:bing:

19. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I store all my pipes bowl down, whether or not this does anything to help dry out the moisture is beyond me. But I'd rather continue doing things this way pointlessly than to stop and find out that I now have a bunch of wet pipes! ;)

20. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

Heres my regimen after I smoke my pipes. I take my pipe, and use a rolled up paper towel, and LIGHTLY clean the bowl to absorb any moisture. I then run a couple of pipe cleaners in, and out of the stem until I see NO moisture on them. I them place the bowl DOWN, and allow the pipe to dry, or rest. If the weather is decent--NOT FREEZING---say like 40 degrees, or above I will take the pipe outside in one of those cheap plastic folding pipe rests, and allow it sit in the breeze for several hours---bowl down, and then I put it away. If I am going to smoke the pipe again in that day--and I usually do--I inspect it for moisture prior to loading it up. In my work pipes I am very laxed on this. HOWEVER--in my good pipes I ALWAYS allow them to rest, and make sure there is no wetness in the bowl---if there is---it keeps resting. While breaking in new pipes I NEVER push them, and allow them to rest so as to let the moisture evaporate until I get some cake, or carbon lining the bowl--ESPECIALLY the very bottom--then I kinda go for it.

WrightwoodJohn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.