1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Should you stand a pipe up after you smoke it?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by WrightwoodJohn, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nowsharing

nowsharing Member

Keeping a big rotation helps to keep things dry too. I generally only smoke a pipe once every two weeks or so, and some far less.

2. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Well, my thinking in using that method, is that many of my pipes do not yet have the thin carbon shield or "cake" that would prevent moisture from penetrating the wood of the bowl leaving a foul smell (ghost) embedded in the grain.

I use the paper towel to absorb it as quickly as possible to avoid that from happening. And I'm not totally sure it would; but it makes good common sense to me, so...

3. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

Another pipe myth in my opinion, the pipe will dry whether the bowl is up, down or lying sideways.

4. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

I try to have my pipes sit with the bowl down.. so if there might be any moisture it will slowly find it's way towards the bowl rather than the stem.

5. KevinP

KevinP Member

I don't doubt that's true, only that it would make much difference. If you smoke the pipe 24 hours later after letting it air dry, it'll have dried whether it's standing up or not.

6. WrightwoodJohn

WrightwoodJohn Wrightwood expatriate

Lots of good posts here folks thanks. I always take a piece of a paper towel or tissue and lightly wipe out the bowl after a smoke. But with this info I think I will also pass a cleaner thru it after as well. I have a nice old 3 pipe stand but it doesn't work for my 6 pipe collection.:bing:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.