1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Showing off my Churchwarden

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Jack Karneval, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

Hello everyone, I didn't see an introductions forum so I figured I'd use showing off my pipe as an excuse to introduce myself. I recently just got into the fine art of pipe smoking, about 3 months ago, after having been curious about it all my life. I've never smoked cigarettes or cigars, or anything illegal before, so I was a tad apprehensive about it seeing as its obviously not good for you. But I figured what the hell, I may as well try it at least once, and if I do pick it up, at least I won't have trouble quitting if it ever seriously hurts me. Regardless, one of my friends came over one day and told me how he was smoking a pipe now, and I asked if I could try it. He whipped out his tiny little carry pipe and some cherry tobacco from our local tobacconist and suddenly I was a little more than curious.

Long story short, I went to said local tobacconist, brought myself a Semi Churchwarden of an unknown brand (although it says it's made in Italy), got myself some tobacco, and now, I am here, as a fan of smoking the pipe, and as someone who wants to share his new found passion with others are knowledgeable and can offer me guidance.

Anyway, enough smalltalk, here's my pipe!
    [​IMG]

As I described before it's a Semi-Churchwarden styled pipe, that despite not having a manufacturer, says it's made in Italy, so I can only assume it's a somewhat decently constructed pie, although I may be wrong. Either way, it smokes fine, and I got it for the low price of 10-15 dollars, can't remember the exact amount.

Now as for the tobacco I smoke, the first bit I picked up was called SO #100 from my local tobacconist, it has a large hint of vanilla flavoring, and that's about all I know, otherwise it's good stuff. The second major bit I picked up is called Paladin Black Cherry, which despite not having good reviews online, I actually like. Lastly, as a treat to myself, I picked up some Peterson's Sunset Breeze tobacco, which has been by far, my favorite. I think it's the amaretto flavoring that gets me...

And if I had money to blow, I'd probably buy any number of Peterson Pipes. I'm currently head over heels for their Irish Sea collection, those things are just gorgeous. I'm also really intrigued by their System pipes and the benefits that those offer. And if I really had money to blow, I'd buy their current Father's Day pipe just to have as a carry pipe. Ah, it's nice to have dreams.

Anyway people, it's always nice to see a forum for a specific thing (like my car, and Oldsmobile Aurora) or hobby that contains nothing but great information, and a member base willing to provide nothing but friendly advice. I tip my hat to all you gents, thanks!

2. Bri2k

Bri2k Active Member

Welcome to PSF, Jack! That's one fine looking pipe! There's lots of great tips and advice here and the members are top-notch.

Bri2k

3. nobler son

nobler son Member

That's a fine looking pipe, especially considering the low price-point (the general rule is, if you like it, it's perfect).

Welcome to the forums. The more, the merrier.

4. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Welcome Jack!  Nice churchwarden.

Jay

5. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Hey Jack. Welcome! Nice looking hunk of wood and nice price. :thumbsu:

6. 51flgoose

51flgoose Member

Welcome Jack! Your story is much like mine - I picked up a pipe while on vacation a year and a half ago and have not looked back. I enjoy it immensely. There is such a great connection to the past that I enjoy... and the multiple tobacco blends are a joy to experiment with....

Just beware of the PAD and TAD bugs - they are likely to get to you at some point. I dabble in making pipes now as an attempt to placate the PAD urges... it helps to some degree.

This is a great site to learn from... and a great bunch of folks to talk with about all things pipes and tobacco.

Make sure you check out the Newbie Sampler thread designed for helping newcomers broaden their tobacco horizon.

7. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Looks like a brindisi judgeing by the finnish .... Damn ... I want one ... thanks alot , I just bought 7 pipes yesterday . Thought my pad was done ... it's only been a day ... help me :thumbsu:

8. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

There is no help......just let it happen and enjoy.

9. Bobby 151

Bobby 151 Member

Welcome to PSF,Jack.Jesla has said it all,right on the nose. :bigyellowgrin:

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Welcome to PSF Jack! That's an awesome first pipe, I'm sure you'll treasure it for years to come.

You're quite lucky to have a tobacconist nearby, that would be a great place to learn about different blends. Many of these B&M establishments will gladly let you have a sample of various offerings. Try some english blends, some Va/Pers, an oriental or two.

And I totally agree with you about the Irish Sea series... I currently have 4 Peterson pipes (all of them bent billiards) in my collection, and am hoping to add an Irish Sea sometime soon!

11. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Welcome aboard - can't have too many good pipe smoking men here. You've made a grand start by finding a pipe you like and tobaccos you enjoy - some of us (me included for sure) took some time to get to that stage.

Me I don't look at pipe catalogues these days, as I keep telling myself I have more than enough good pipes to last me. Still doesn't stop me acquiring more mind! The Petersons do look nice - I'm taken with the range with the sterling silver band but an defintely not in the market for them.

Happy smoking and welcome again, looking forward to your posts,

Gerry

12. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

Hey guys, thanks for the welcoming!

13. The German Shepherd

The German Shepherd Member

Face it. Resistance is futile...

Jay

14. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Welcome. I've been thinking about getting a churchwarden so it's nice to know that this can be a good first pipe as well as a good 7th (I think).

15. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

To be honest, when I first bought my pipe I wasn't thinking about it from a manageability standpoint, I was just going with what style I wanted. It's interesting you point that out though, because in my experience with it so far, it actually isn't very easy to use. The straightness of it makes it almost unwieldy to deal with unless you're devoting all your intention to the act of smoking... which I might assume is the only way to do it. I think that is why I am already looking into another pipe, not just because I want something different, but because I want to see if what I get is any easier to use.

PS: What is PAD and TAD, I kinda got it from the context, but what are they spelt out haha

16. nobler son

nobler son Member

Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder.

Yeah, a Churchwarden is definitely a sit-and-smoke pipe. Which is just fine for someone like me, an occasional smoker. A lot of the guys around here who are all-day smokers tend to prefer pipes than can be clenched in the teeth. Dr Grabow pipes and Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes are great for that.

17. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

and when it comes to clenching... a bent pipe is easier to clench than a straight one!

18. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

Now I'd be in some serious trouble if different places started sending me pipe catalogs! :hippi:

19. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

Hi Jack

I'm new to the forum as well. I've been smoking pipes for nearly two years now and am up to 7 pipes. I've been eyeing churchwardens for a while and haven't snapped one yet. Seeing that you enjoy yours so much offers some encouragement.

20. Jack Karneval

Jack Karneval Member

Hehe yeah! Go pick one up! If I had to buy another one I'd be buying a full Churchwarden though, none of this semi stuff. Gotta go all the way man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.