Sillem's Black

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by KeysandPlastic, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeysandPlastic

KeysandPlastic Member

In a paragraph, what can you say about this tobacco? I want to try this blend, reviewing a few reviews from www.tobaccoreviews.com and see a few people say, "A taste of soap" ... Hesitant in buying it.

2. BradNTX

BradNTX Well-Known Member

I get zero soap taste and have no idea what they are talking about. That said, everyone has different tastes & some may taste something others do not.

The first time I smoked Sillem's Black, it was too strange for me. Not bad, just too unusual and I didn't know what to think of it. I smoked it again a few months later and was shocked that I loved it so much. It is rich, smooth, silky. It has a touch of earthiness and is a bit sweet. It's hard to describe, but would suggest giving it a shot. It has a nice room note as well (according to my wife).

3. Mington

Mington Well-Known Member

No soap taste to me.

4. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

When I read a review of a blend where only 1 or 2% of the reviewers claims it tastes soapy or tastes like grape jelly or whatever, I toss those reviews out as being extraneous. You can't get a proper idea of what a blend will be like based on only 1 or 2 reviews and you need to be skeptical of the reviews that are extreme in their rating - either good or bad. Look for a recurring opinion. For example, if MOST of the reviewers claim the blend leaves a bad chemical after taste and leaves a sticky black glycol goop in the bottom of pipes you can believe it.

5. Rewster66

Rewster66 Active Member

I concur!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.