1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Silver bands...

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by TedVig, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TedVig

TedVig total pipeflake

Hey all, I have a few pipes with silver bands. They require polishing sometimes. Just curious what everyone uses? I have the walker briarworks stem restore kit but I can tell it's fairly abrasive. I am not sure that those bands aren't simply plated and I sure don't want to wear through. Any thoughts?

2. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

Good question. I've got a Town Hall from Comoy's with a sterling silver band. The pipe cleaned up well and is in beautiful shape, but the band could use some gentle attention.
    <photo taken prior to cleaning>

[​IMG]

jdto likes this.
  3. Buckshot

Buckshot Member

I use a product called "Silver Wipes". Disposable cloths infused with some kind of cleaner. Just a light wipe removes the tarnish and gets the silver looking sharp. Pretty amazing how easily the tarnish comes off. They work very well and they aren't messy at all. If you keep the used cloth in a baggie it will last for months.

Jussto and TedVig like this.
  4. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I use a product called "Speedy". It is a metal polish I purchase at a local store that I use that sells parts, and accessories for big rigs(trucks). The stuff is amazing, but expensive. How I use it on my pipe silver is by dipping a "Q-tip" in it. Get rid of the access on the qtip, and gently go around the band being careful NOT to get ANY on the wood, or stem. The stuff is amazing, and requires little to no elbow grease.

TedVig likes this.
  5. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

In a pinch, I make a light paste with salt, baking soda, and water which I gently dab it on the silver and wipe clean. With some care, it's not too abrasive and it's always around at home. Somebody has recommended Blue Magic 400 metal polish cream to me. I haven't tried it yet, but apparently it has a little something in it that slows the process of tarnish building again.

TedVig likes this.
  6. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I would use a jeweler’s cloth.

Jussto, Stonewall, jdto and 1 other person like this.
  7. Spillproof

Spillproof Mostly Harmless Moderator

Tarnex works.

ruffinogold and Mington like this.
  8. davidmackv

davidmackv Active Member

How do you know if your band is real silver or just nickel or some other metal?

9. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I forget what brand it is I use but any silver polish should make it shine big time .

TedVig likes this.
  10. 421eme

421eme Member

I have been using a very gentle tube paste called "Flitz" - non toxic and leaves a protective coating on the metal to help slow further tarnish from occuring.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,Carl

Rodfather and TedVig like this.
  11. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I have a jeweller's cloth impregnated with jeweller's rouge. The only problem is, I've noticed a slight reddish tinge to the black blast near the silver band on my Tinsky. I'm going to try wrapping some paper around the shank next time I polish the band.

12. PipeSimmo

PipeSimmo Active Member

I use toothpaste, blendamed - works perfectly.

David Emond likes this.
  13. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I just use a new/clean dusting cloth. I wipe all my pipes down about every 7-10 days; so i dont have many issues with tarnish. But a Jewellers cloth sounds like a wise investment.

14. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Sales Account

Likely because of this thread on my mind, I finally picked up a tub of the Blue Magic. It is certainly an effective polish. I'll check back in a month or three to see if the coating does indeed help/hold up (it's silicone apparently).

[​IMG]

dBear, jdto and TedVig like this.
  15. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I might try that. I put some carnauba in mine to see if it would help, but I'm not sure it's working too well.

16. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

i like the dark patina that sets onto the silver bands but ive used toothpaste with a kleenex and it works like a charm

17. Johnny

Johnny Member

I use Wright's Silver Polish which you can find in the soap isle in the supermarket

18. Brian Powers

Brian Powers Member

Brebbia stem polish does a nice job too, dab it on and a quick twist in a paper towel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.