1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Simple pleasures

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by nesta, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I've smoked a handful of bowls today. Carter Hall in my cob, Captain Black in my cheap Italian basket pipe, a bowl and a half of Kingfisher in my cob....they were all quite pleasant. Last night I had some BB2 in a La Rocca, and I've had FVF recently, Kendal's Dark, almost everything I've got on hand has been smoked recently.

But as I type this I'm sitting on the porch at the end of a bowl of Prince Albert in my Bjarne. I packed quite the bowl and it's lasted me a long time. PA isn't fancy, it isn't complex, it isn't expensive. But I like the taste and it smokes well. It smells nice, and if you have a nice long bowl full it can deliver a healthy dose of nicotine.

Sometimes I don't even WANT complex or involved. I just want a good, solid, respectable smoke. Thats what I got. Sparkling water, Lindt dark chocolate, and Prince Albert. Life is good.

Here's to the simple things in life! I thoroughly enjoy my tobacco, and I love some really nice and even admittedly expensive blends. But once in a while, I just want to relax and enjoy the little things. There are plenty of tobaccos I'd stock up on in large quantities if money was no object. But even if money were limitless, half the time I think I'd still turn to the Simple Stuff. I think Prince Albert has become my bread and butter. I'm anxious to try Walnut, though, as from the sound of it I'd like it as much as, or even more than, PA.

Who's with me? A nice pipe is important, and nice tobacco is important, but sometimes the simple blends are the best, even if they aren't perfect.
  2. YOJiMBO20

YOJiMBO20 Member

Nov 12, 2010
    'Tis the gift to be simple...
  3. Kiowapipe

Kiowapipe Active Member

Apr 11, 2011
    I'm definitely with you. This may sound pretentious, but I think it's a mark of maturity when a pipe smoker knows what he's in the mood for and can really enjoy a bowl of PA or something simple. There was a time in my pipe smoking career where I thought I should only smoke "fine" blends. I eventually realized I didn't have to prove myself to anyone and I should just smoke what I enjoy.
    For my part I love PA and have been smoking quite a bit of it lately. I think it can be a miracle tobacco used as a mixer. I often use PA like the rocks in a glass of whiskey- it can smooth the rough edges and mellow out stronger blends without obliterating their flavor. There are certain virginias and englishes that on their own are always a little harsh or bitey for me, but I still love the flavor. Adding some PA rounds off the harshness and can make for an easier smoke that doesn't require as much attention.
  4. Blue

Blue Member

Mar 15, 2011
    We do find we over complicate our lives. To sit back and enjoy the simple pleasures, puts everything into perspective

Sent from Blues mobile phone using Forum Runner
  5. Beale

Beale Active Member

Apr 2, 2011
    I agree 100%! Very nice post! Beale.
  6. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Nov 22, 2009
    Good man.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.