Single smoke tobacco tin

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Njemt527, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

I smoke a local blend thats bulk from my local tobacco shop. But I' like to have a change once in a while at the end of my 13 hour shift. I was trying to think of a way to carry it with out having to carry a second pouch and I didn't want to switch out my daily blend. So hear I am at the end of my shift, packing my bowl with my daily smoke for the ride home. I pop an altoid mini into my mouth, and then it hit me. I says to mysself, "Self, this might solve my problem" Turn out it works. It holds enough, if packed slightly tight into the tin, to fill my dublin or slighty larger bowels just right. Haven't had any trouble with it drying out, and it'll fit right inside your pocket or bag and takes up almost no space. what do you think/ use for your "change of pace"?

2. Philthy

Philthy Member

As a diabetic I have to check my blood sugar and the test strips come in a thick wall plastic container about one inch plus by two and a half inches long. The lid snaps on quite air tight and it will hold about a bowl and a half quite easily. Works great!

Also a regular pill bottle or old time (ha!) 35mm film canister. Gee dont know where I got that idea from :velho:

3. Njemt527

Njemt527 Member

Never thought of that. I've been a type 1 diabetic for 18 years!

4. Rider

Rider Member

when i was little i thought diabetes were candy
    :xd:

great ideas for the bulk loving and pouch less :thumbsu:

5. Philthy

Philthy Member

Actually the lid for the test strips has a desiccant in it to absorb moisture. I pop the fiber disc out with a paper clip or a knife tip and dump the desiccant out to gain a bit of extra space.

6. krusty

krusty Active Member

I've been using the snack size zip-lock baggies for my out and about or while at work.
    2 to 3 bowls worth in a baggie and several can be carried in my pouch at any given time.

7. Whalehead King

Whalehead King Balaenius Rex!!

Every time I open an old box I find old 35mm film canisters. They've been useful in all situations over the years.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

"Handy" ehhhhh? Talk about load-n-go, "pit-stop" ya might say?

For "Flaked" toby, I use Puff's own "Speedloader" it's a nalgene tube (looks like a test tube) that's about 2/3" dia X 3-4" long. Airtight top. Holds a MM CCSS Freehand "full bowl" or ~2 1/2 - 3 dunhill-ish size 4 bowls. Just pour the little bits o'goodness right into the bowl. No mess, fast, quite impressively convenient. I usually cube-cut my flakes then dry a bit, then funnel into the speedloader. So, actually there is a bit of investment of time but that's time when I can load up several and just grab 'em and go. A cigar tube works well for this as well but they are usually much longer.......but longer may be gooder, ehhhh? More toby! :wave:

For other than flaked, I use or "recycle" a York Peppermint tin (~3" in dia X 1/2") and I take the paper out of an Escudo tin (or the likes) and place that in the tin, then fill it and fold the paper over the toby so it's similar to a full sized tin but now, it's pocket sized.

Otherwise, I use a pouch. That's traditional and works well too. What I do with the pouch is a different story. I don't like or want rubber/latex touching my toby. Just not a good idea IMO. Too many violent allergic reactions to latex (I've seen 'em in the Operating Room where a patient was getting ready to undergo emergency surgery and a full blown anaphylactic reaction was triggered by the amount of latex used in medicine and the patient's prior exposures to latex proteins. That's why most hospitals & EMTs now use latex-free products exclusively. I don't need to be exposing myself "routinely", I've done it enough!) I'll use parchment paper "envelopes" (make them by cutting a square ~10-12" and folding the paper into a nice little "semi sealed" packet and put my toby in the parchment paper envelope and then it goes into the pouch. I can keep several types of toby in the same pouch, allowing me the "on the spot" choice of what I wish to smoke rather than what I thought I wanted to smoke all day. I like choices! :cheers:

:velho:
    Ed Puff!
    I know all of this sounds OCD, me no care :)

9. rusty

rusty Member

Good Idea, I have one of these tins, got it when I was going to use it for watercolour tablets, but didnt get round to it.

10. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

I like it! My current arrangement is similar to Puff's pouch- I use folded coffee filter papers instead of parchment, but it works. A mini-tin just looks 'more right' with tobacco though.

11. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

Another type one Diabetic here. We can start a club...

12. Deckard

Deckard Active Member

I reuse some of my empty tins for this purpose. Germain tins are the perfect size.

13. Twan013

Twan013 Member

sorry, just have to say it. but ain't ya supposed to EMPTY your bowels? unless you swing that way of course..

Sorry, I'm terrible!!

If this is offensive to anyone I apologize, and will accept any consequences that may come my way. Its just all good fun though.

I'd be nervous about carrying a small amount of tobacco around like that though. I think marijuana has a different color that pipe tobacco, but if you get pulled over, and a cop is just having a bad day, it could cause troubles..

14. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

As long as you only have legal items, LEO has no reason to cuff you. They don't want to be bustin' everyone who has something to smoke. Just the Green Weed!

:velho:
    Ed Puff!

P.S. Besides, it a cop did bust you for tobacco, and you weren't doing anything illega, that policeman would end up being the laughing stock in Police HQ as well as every Dunkin' Donuts for miles around! Just sayin'!

15. Smokingmiami

Smokingmiami Member

LMAO!! I use the old film canister as well. Has always worked no matter what you put in it.

16. Booker

Booker Member

I guess it's time to start hoarding those 35mm cannisters. The old 35mm will soon go away since the digital cameras are everywhere!

I have saved my old blood test stips bottles for years. Never knew why, but now I have a use for them!!!

Many years ago, when I was into the blackpowder shooting, I acquired a brass tobacco tin that had a magnifing glass in the lid. The maker was Ted Cash. I don't know if they still around, but this tin has served me well for many years!

17. Booker

Booker Member

I guess it's time to start hoarding those 35mm cannisters. The old 35mm will soon go away since the digital cameras are everywhere!

I have saved my old blood test stips bottles for years. Never knew why, but now I have a use for them!!!

Many years ago, when I was into the blackpowder shooting, I acquired a brass tobacco tin that had a magnifing glass in the lid. The maker was Ted Cash. I don't know if they still around, but this tin has served me well for many years!

18. Booker

Booker Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.