1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Sir Walter v Prince Albert

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Tyler Lad, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Lad

Tyler Lad Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I am trying to be able to detect a difference between Sir Walter Raleigh and Prince Albert! They taste nearly indistinguishable to me, and I am wondering if you gentlemen with more refined tastes can detect differences that I do not.

I've been smoking both alternatively for a month now.
    Here's the few differences that I can taste/see:

-Sir Walter seems to dry up more quickly, perhaps the pouch difference is the only reason, and this makes it slightly harder to pack.
    -I have more luck keeping SW lit, but I usually have an easier time smoking PA until it is all a fine, white ash (I love dumping the ash to find no unsmoked tobacco left :) )

But now I stop babbling and let you answer my question.

2. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

Feb 7, 2011
    I find them quite different from one another. SWR is my preference. I find it more of a nutty, typical burley smoke. One of the main diffs is towards the end of the bowl. SWR goes bitter and PA gets ashy-tasting. It's been awhile since I've smoked PA, though, and my memory is pretty hazy. I just found it to be more cigarette-like and SWR to be more traditional in taste.
    Raffxr7 and kb7get like this.
  3. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Haven't had SWR, may stop by the discount smoke shop today and grab some...as it stands I won't be able to have a smoke until after 2 pm

there is an OTC section by the way in Pipe Tobaccos
  4. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    PA has a little more of a chocolate taste (and certainly, it smells that way, according to the wife) and more casing, which took getting used to, for me, at least. It 's more cigarette-like, as Dmkerr noted. SWR seems to have less casing and a more burley taste, and doesn't stick a lasting flavor on your tongue like PA does. I prefer SWR, but could smoke PA if the occasion arose.
    Grimpeur likes this.
  5. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    I find that the only differences I notice is that, to me, SWR is a little sweeter and not as flavorful as PA. and the PA feels quite a bit softer to the fingers than the SWR. I smoke PA on a fairly regular basis where as I have only smoked 1 pouch of SWR, I enjoyed the SWR so I will be smoking more of it to get a better comparison.
  6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2011
    PA and my mouth chemistry don't agree with one another, because to me it's flavorless. I'm not blaming this on the good Prince because too many people have loved it for too long for it to be just a crappy product. It just doesn't work for me. Now SWR, that's my favorite OTC. It's got a mildly sweet and wonderful burley nuttiness to it.
    JimInks and County Mountie like this.
  7. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Definitely a fan of SWR, and not a fan of PA. It seems to be far too easy to burn my mouth with it, and I don't notice any flavors that I enjoy. I am even leary to blend it into other tobacco, in case I destroy the other! When I was fresh into the OTC varieties I couldn't tell a difference between many of them, but as I tried other things I started to realize how dissimilar they really are. Start smoking SWR more and try going back to PA. I bet you will notice a difference then, but you may not want to smoke any more of it!
  8. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I agree.
    No need for me to type out my opinion, dmkerr said it perfectly.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.