1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Slices-- What goes around, comes around---

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by MAINE CODGER, Mar 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Jan 20, 2013
    Back in the late 50's when I started up with the pipe, my first choices in tobacco were slices. Dill's
    Best and Edgeworth Sliced were most popular in my family and in our area. Being a young know it all, I soon found that ready- rubbed was faster, more convenient, and definitely the way that a young
    codger should go----worked well for me for 55 or so years; and I never looked back. Only an old fool
    would take all the extra time required to mess with a flake! Well, who do you suppose is starting to
    get reacquainted with slices again? Yup, me----and they are a great change of pace. Now, I have a
    question for you guys----do any of you mix slices when preparing a bowlful. For example, if you want to improve the room note for Mrs. Codger, would it be a common practice to rub-out, say 2
    slices of Navy Flake and 1 slice of vanilla cream flake to blend a flavorful, good smelling smoke?
    What are your thoughts and experiences on this? Thanks,---R.F.P.
  2. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

Jan 17, 2012
    This is not something I have tried myself, but I know many people who like to do some at-home mixing. I've heard upwards of four blends in a single (large) bowl. I say you should go for it! Pick a nicer smelling blend whose flavor you think will be complimentary and give it a shot.

And I do understand, it took me a while to warm up to flakes. Thankfully only about six or seven years for me, though :D
    Thuber88 and MAINE CODGER like this.
  3. DaveyBoy

DaveyBoy Member

Sep 29, 2011
    would love to see some results of this type of experimentation. I know there are Latakia blends out there that will mix in cavendish or a little aromatic just enough to hide the Lat in the room note without it disappearing in the taste department.
    That type of perfect storm would almost be ideal for me. If it can be done with flakes it takes most of the guess work out of the ratio dept.
    MAINE CODGER likes this.
  4. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I've tried something similar combining navy flake with bullseye flake. I say give it a try; other than losing a bowls worth of tobacco to a failed experiment, nothing ventured nothing gained, right?

I actually have a small jar of a mixture of about every flake tobacco in my cellar. I call it Frankenflake. Lol
    MAINE CODGER likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.