Small Cobs = Cool

Discussion in 'Corn Cob Pipes' started by Ephraim, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

So as some may know, I've ordered an assortment of 12 MM cobs and Ozarks from several online dealers.
    Yesterday I received my first 2 of 4 "small" (as opposed to "mini") cobs: an Eaton and a Pony Express.
    Today I should be receiving the other 2: another Pony Express and a Mizzou.

Wow I really like these little pipes. The quality is exactly the same as on the larger MM pipes.
    Many people on various reviews will claim that the small pipes give a 5-15 minute smoke...they must smoke them like freight trains!
    After a day of experimenting with the Eaton and Pony Express I found it to be more like 20-30+ minutes.
    I pack them as I usually would, and smoke them as I smoke any pipe.
    They burn cool and meet my needs for a 30 minute smoke at any time.
    Keep in mind that I smoke a lot, so people who enjoy their pipes once a day probably won't be satisfied with the small cobs.
    But for me they give me a chance to change my tobaccos frequently throughout the day.

Anyway I love these small cobs :th1: and find myself moving away from larger pipes in general. It's funny that an MM Pride seems huge by comparison :) ...Obviously I still love all of my MM pipes and will continue to smoke them frequently.

For those wondering, the Eaton has a straight stem and natural bowl. The Pony Express has a lacquered bowl with straight unfiltered stem. And the Mizzou is a bent stem version of the Pony Express.
    Also, these pipes are not as small as the "Mini" pipes, which I've also ordered.

Can't wait for today's delivery to arrive. :puffy:

TWolf and Husayn like this.
  2. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Small cobs?...

[​IMG]

3. Husayn

Husayn Member

Great to hear!

I'm interested in getting some mini cobs also, for those breaks at work. Usually I'd duck out for a ciggie, but the pipe is helping me off them. I reckon those minis with a strong blend would serve me well!

Ephraim likes this.
  4. Husayn

Husayn Member

Lol! Geez, that thing is a monster! Is that the MacArthur?

Ephraim likes this.
  5. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Yep...got it from my Secret Santa. Just finished with it, actually. Lit up at 9.30, and finished at about 12.30...with about a 15 min break in the middle...

mitchell, Ephraim and Husayn like this.
  6. Husayn

Husayn Member

Sounds like my kinda cob! I've been thinking about looking for something that'll give me a longer smoke than my CG, that'll do just fine by the sounds of it!

7. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

Umm -- where's the bow tie? What? You think you get a break for Casual Friday? :xd:

Husayn and Ephraim like this.
  8. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

Yeah I also plan on using the small and mini cobs for when friends come over and outdoor smoking is necessary. Many of them smoke cigs, so I can join them on the porch with a quick pipe :)
    I also see potential with the small cobs for ultra-strong blends as well. In fact I enjoyed some Five Brothers in the Eaton and Pony Express yesterday to break them in a bit. Very nice :puffy:

Husayn likes this.
  9. TWolf

TWolf Member

I have a Pony Express and a Mizzou and I love them. Great little pipes and they're excellent for a shorter smoke. I use them a lot when I'm working in the yard. You can't beat them for four bucks and if I drop them under a lawn mower or something equally unpleasant I won't cry.

Ephraim likes this.
  10. michiganlover

michiganlover Active Member

I have two Eatons (one being smoked, and one in back up) and 30 minutes is my average too.

Do you have a Morgan Nosewarmer on order? It looks like a half sized Diplomat, but has the same unfiltered bit as the Eaton. It's become one of my favorite pipes, and is about a 45 minute smoke for me. It's available in both plastered, and natural versions.

http://aristocob.com/Morgan-Nose-Wa...ssouri-Meerschaum-Corn-Cob-Pipe-P3248848.aspx

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
    Ephraim likes this.
  11. Ephraim

Ephraim Member

I haven't ordered one, but that looks like a nice pipe. Perfect size. Thanks for the link!

I love the Eaton. This little pipe has been getting a good amount of use since I got it...a nice and relaxing half hour smoke. With all my old and new MM cobs and hardwoods, I find myself preferring the Eaton and Pony Express.
    I'll post a pic of my MM collection after the last of my orders arrive.

mitchell likes this.
  12. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

Yup. As much as I like my General's, I spend a LOT of time smoking my Legend's.

Ephraim likes this.
  13. Dimik

Dimik Active Member

I have a Mizzou or rather had because I gave it to my dad. 30 min smoke easily. They're nice pipes, but I prefer larger ones like Legend since my daily smokes aren't numerous.

Ephraim likes this.
  14. EinarsPipes

EinarsPipes Member

Couldn't agree more. My current favorites are my Morgan, Mizzou, and mini. I just ordered a varnished mini and I'm thinking about picking up a varnished Morgan.

Ephraim likes this.
  15. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

Mayhap I will pick up a few for in the car. Cobs are nice as far as beater pipes go, nice clean smoke each time. They have the ability to take repeated smokes without any problems.

Ephraim likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.