Smoked my 20

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by len smetona, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. len smetona

len smetona Member

Well, I finished up 20 bowls of Golden Extra (burly)

I did fall off the wagon 2 or 3 times, but for the most part, I smoked 20 bowls of Golden Extra.

I did this to help me, a newbie, try to get a handle on some sort of standard. I was smoking different blends, and for me, it did come to be a bit confusing. Now this taste is in my memory, and I have my standard.

It was a definate positive experience for me. I liked Golden Extra and I like even more now. Don't get me wrong, I am happy that there are varieties out there, but the Golden Extra did get better and better, like developing a taste for scotch. When I decided to do this, I just recieved a Sas Oom Paul. A larger pipe. Just as well, the pipe needed some breaking in, and this sure was a good way. The first bowl was about a third full, I did not want to try to burn in the big bowl in one shot. Subsequent bowls got fuller until I had a char on the whole inside. I was expecting half tobacco smoke, and half smoldering briar smoke. Surprise, even the first smoke was one of the best. I did actually get that occasional "chocolaty", "creamy" taste. I was thinking that the big bowl size had something to do with it, another surprise, pipe size did not seem to be the only determining factor. I did use a variety of pipes for this project and some of the smaller pipes were just as enjoyable, and some other pipes, not so good. My conclusion - there are elements to pipe design - other than just size - that determine how well a certain toby is going to taste in them. A pleasant surprise to me, I am happy that the quality of how a pipe smokes has more to it than the cold dimensions of the bowl.

Now that I am smoking other tobaccos again, I notice:

• The very subjective "enjoyment factor" Without even getting into flavors, and nuances, etc. I know right off the bat if I like it better or worse than Golden Extra
    • After the rounds with Golden Extra, my palete came to expect certain flavors, when I smoke something different, there is a noticable "surprise" factor. It helps me pick out flavors that were just a jumble before.
    So, I am a little more educated and a little further down the path of tobacco enjoyment. The neat thing is I don't think this path has an end, for sure some smokers know it pretty well, but as long as there are surprises, there is still more ground to cover.

That is part of the excitement for us newbies, so much new ground!

Cheers,

Len S

http://pipesmokersfo...n-golden-extra/

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Len, first, congrats on sticking out your self-imposed program. Obviously it did what you hoped it would - gave you a baseline from which to judge other tobaccos from, and gave you an idea about what burley does in various blends.

Pipes very often have strengths and weakenesses in terms of what flavors they tend to offer up. This is the great mystery of pipe smoking - finding out which of your pipes do what.

I suspect that under ideal conditions, you could get the same flavors, more or less, out of every pipe. But some pipes just seem to do certain things better than others. I suspect that the operating temperature of a pipe has the biggest effect on this, and another way to put this would be that each guy smokes a little different, and is probably going to find that certain pipes work good for him and certain pipes don't (Sasquatch pipes excluded because of uh, engimatronic thingmagiggy.)

Anyway, just dialling in a certain blend and really working with it has surely helped you develop your palate and your smoking techniques, and set you up for greater enjoyment of everything down the road.

:cheers:

3. Boomer-Z

Boomer-Z Member

Great Program! When I first started I smoked everything I could find. I think if I had done what you did my palate my have developed sooner. I know what you mean by "knowing if you like something or not". I do get into ruts where I will smoke the same thing for a few days....say aro's....Then, when I move to something different....say VA's it takes a bowl or two to re-adjust. I mainly smoke English blends so I think I am middle of the road for most toby's.

Congrats again on your program. What are you going to do next?

Z

4. len smetona

len smetona Member

Well, next is to take a break, and enjoy different toby - but with notes. Now when I smoke something new, I try to really pay attention, and write up some notes. Not really a review per say, more like a log book of basic impressions. This also includes the pipe. I am sure my impressions will change over time, so if I notice a change, I will write that up also.

Another hobby of mine is photography, so part of the chronicle is a pic of the pipe and toby. I did not want to make it a pain in the ass, so I found a spot on my desk that makes a quick and easy studio for the pictures, just one extra desk lamp for fill in lighting. So now I can snap a pic, resize it to 640 wide, and upload it to the galery in a few minutes. My logbook is this site! Ha, a shameless exploit of the internet. When I want to look up an entry, I just do an advanced search with me as the author and the toby or pipe I want to see.

I've been trying to keep the comments short, but what I write seems to fall between a simple "what I'm smoking" and a full blown review. So, I've been putting it in the "now smokng" section. It makes the searching easier to keep the entries in one forum. If the moderators prefer, I will be happy to move it where it belongs.

Cheers,
    Len S

5. woody

woody Admin Admin

Good for you I'm glad you took to GE so quickly. My first experience with Mac Baren wasn't so good, but now MB's make up almost all of my favorites. Lots more to try, MB and other brands.

6. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Your taste will change as you go too. It is a fun ride.

I started off wanting Latakia bombs and sweet Virginias. As I have worked thru more and more blends some of the stuff I wasn't blown away with the first go round are now stunning. Now I want earthier and stronger Virginias, dark fired Kentucky, lots of perique, less lat and more orientals, etc. Not to say I don't still enjoy them all but I find myself gravitating toward different flavor profiles. Like I say, it is a fun ride.

7. Bahnzo

Bahnzo Member

This sounds like something I need to do. I just started and have 4 different toby's that I just smoke at random and it seems to me they all taste about the same. I think I need to put away all but one and just smoke that and see how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.