1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoker's pride and other otc blends

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Bent, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bent

Bent Member

Apr 3, 2011

I normally like to keep cheaper blends at home for when I'm not able to sit down proper and reflect on the attributes of more complex blends. For years I stuck with Prince Albert Regular, Half and Half, and Carter Hall, they are handy when working around the yard, fishing, hiking, and all those every day little annoyances that won't let you sit down and just enjoy a bowl.

Last week I ran out of my regular stuff so I went to get more and thought it'd be nice to try a OTC I haven't tried. I had always considered Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla and bought a bargain bag, I liked it quite a bit and thought, since I have a large selection of gourmet blends, why not do the same with OTC blends?

I wanted to give Walnut a shot, but unfortunately I can's find it locally. I thought maybe the Smoker's Pride super cheap bags would be suitable, but I've had so many bad experiences with Lane blends tasting like PG so bad that I am always weary of anything remotely associated with Lane.

My questions are:

Considering what it is; a cheapo bargain tobacco, has your experience with Smoker's Pride been generally pleasant? do the Smokers Pride blends have the same Lane "signature" PG taste?

What are your thoughts?
  2. Scottly

Scottly Member

Jul 16, 2011
    I hear the SP Black Cav and Whiskey Blends are good. Seeing you like the prince and CH you gotta try WALNUT, I got a 2 oz. sample from 4noggins and am Loving it. My everyday smoke is CH but this Walnut may just have it beat. Its super good stuff and I will be buying tubs of it.
  3. ArtisanArcher

ArtisanArcher Member

Jan 22, 2011
    SP Black Cav. Was my first love of pipe tobacco. The PG is there, but it's not terrible IMO. I also smoke the Vanilla occasionally, they're both pretty good. Those are the only two of the SP blends that I've tried though. I will also say that I'm a young pipe smoker, only been smokin' about a year and half, and I'm finally starting to shy away from Aro's; not that there's anything wrong with them, I'm just beginning to like more natural stuff.

Happy Smoking
    PstScrpt Welcome to the forum!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.