Smokers Pride: Vanilla Cavendish + Black Cavendish blend?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by bubbagump, Feb 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I'm just curious who else has done this. I prefer the taste, aroma, and room note of their black cavendish. However, I've got a good amount of vanilla cavendish lying around. To me...their VC is VERY dry. As a result of that and how finely shredded it is, it burns VERY quickly. Depending on my mood..their BC can almost be overpowering (the vanilla aroma).

It occurred to me that these two might make a good budget blend. i.e. Add a bit of volume and moisture to the VC, but slightly dull the almost overpowering taste of the BC. I dumped one 8oz mason jar of VC and one 8oz jar of BC into a larger jar (dumped a bit of each at a time and shook it up to ensure even distribution. I'll give that a try after dinner). Thoughts?

2. User3940

User3940 Active Member

3. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Whoops, pushed enter too early. Let's try that again...

VC is my go too and I love it. I actually think it burns slower than other popular brands, such as CH. Let us know how your blend works out. I am been tempted to try a blend of VC and Whisky Cav.

4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I've never had the VC . I would imagine it would work out fine :th1:

Dave Dueck likes this.
  5. bubbagump

Got the first bowl going at the moment. It tastes just fine. More towards the black cavendish. The other thing I'm hoping is that maybe this will be less goopy than straight SP BC. That's one thing I like about the VC vs. the BC...no moisture and no goop.

6. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Funny you say that ... I find BC , though it's moist in the bag , doesn't smoke goopy for me and I smoke it in a number of work pipes . Work pipes are mainly old very well broken in pipes . Cobs and MM Hardwood is a good work pipe too . They changed the bag that SP comes in . I haven't bought any in the new bags yet ... hope they didn't screw it up . I smoke a really big ' Made in London ' Pot w/ the BC and it's very nice and last a good while

7. bubbagump

Supposedly they didn't change the blend...just the bag design. I have no point of comparison though. My $.02...the bag note for this stuff is better than the Stokkebye PS-21 that I received as part of the same order. The taste, aroma, bag note, and room note is good. I haven't found anything that's better (for the money).

8. Dave Dueck

Dave Dueck Member

Smoker's Pride Black Cavendish is beyond reproach. It's so mild and smooth, I have never gotten it to bite in the slightest, and believe me I've tried. Taste is quite strong for an aro, I wouldn't mind finding something to tone it down with. But the aroma and taste are great and people love it when I smoke that stuff. That said, I'd like to try the WC version again. I don't remember it.

9. Raffxr7

Raffxr7 Active Member

I tried the VC/BC mix and did not like it. I felt like I had wasted BC on the mix...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.