smokes only one blend

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by David Emond, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

Hi everyone,

Any of you guys out there that only smokes just 1 blend that it thats all ?

2. OldSouled65

OldSouled65 Active Member

God, to me that would be impossible.

3. nesta

nesta Well-Known Member

I know a guy who smokes nothing but Captain Black White. Has for a few decades. Says he's tried other stuff, but just keeps going back to that because he likes it best for the money.

His house always smells great.

I sure don't smoke like that. Heck, the past few days showed me that while I could, I wouldn't be happy about it!

David Emond and OldSouled65 like this.
  4. kb7get

kb7get Member

Before I joined PSE in January for about 5 or 10 years I was only smoking smokers pride whiskey and black cavendish. Would dump a bag in my tobacco jar and switch to the other flavor when I needed to refill, so smoked one flavor at a time. This was the most cost effective tobacco I could get local. Now I have found ordering online I have started getting some of my other old favorites again.

David Emond and dwaugh like this.
  5. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Close. Cartel Hall 99%. Cherry Blend 1%

6. phinz

phinz Active Member

My neighbor does.

Is that some secret Colombian blend?

7. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

Hard to type when you are all thumbs.

David Emond and smokinjoe like this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Before this site warped me I would pretty much smoke a blend for a while [ year or 5 ] . I tried a boatload when I had my pipe shop . But before and after that time it was pretty much a main blend w/ something thrown in now and again for fun. My main blends thus far have been .. Edgeworth , Three Nuns , MB Scottish and MB GE . MCB and SWR have always been there . Had a phase w/ Dunhill Std mix Med for about 6 months one time .

David Emond and dwaugh like this.
  9. Ozark Nick

Ozark Nick Member

I'm to the point now I smoke just about nothing but Carter Hall. Every once in a while I'll try something else but I always end up wishing I'd just stuck with CH!

David Emond and DGErwin11 like this.
  10. snowman

snowman Member

All I smoke is,Lane BCA & 1Q Mixed 50/50.

HazyDat620, David Emond and dwaugh like this.
  11. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I almost envy that level of... is it dedication? Is it enjoying simplicity or consistency? There are so many wonderful tobaccos out there, but the quest to "try them all!" feels a bit ridiculous at times.

SalopSt and David Emond like this.
  12. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Im with you snowman, Im a 1-q.or and . CB royal feller.

HazyDat620 and David Emond like this.
  13. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

I smoke one blend at a time... usually... not always... sometimes I "parfait". But usually my bowl includes just one tobacco blend. Does that count?

14. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

For many years I would smoke one blend -- at a time. I would get a tin of Dunhill My Mixture 965, Early Morning, Nightcap or Balkan Sobranie (White or Black) or Rattray's Red Raparee, Black Mallory or 7 Reserve (for example) and smoke them until they were about gone and get something different. Then for several years I only smoked 965 bought in bulk. For some reason it became unavailable a couple of years ago in bulk and I have been casting about for something I really like since then. Recently I had six different blends on my desk ranging from Newminister Ultimate English to Lane 1Q. Nowadays the challenge is to find something I enjoy smoking that is also affordable.

smokinjoe and David Emond like this.
  15. Tony Malerich

How is the Newminster working out for you? I've enjoyed several of those new blends.

16. Coastal Bend

Honestly, I was disappointed. For several years I had been buying tobacco from the same tobacconist. When they could no longer get 965 in bulk they suggested McClellan 5125 (aka Coyote Classic Full English). I liked that and smoked it for maybe a couple of years. Then they were out of stock of it and suggested the Newminister. When I got the first pound it smoked hot and I called to tell them to put a hold on my monthly ship order until I could get things sorted out. They put me on the phone with the tobacconist (everybody at this shop is very nice) who said it might be too moist and to let it dry some. Usually I would call to pull the trigger on my "monthly ship" before the month was over, but this pound has lasted at least two months and I still have a fair amount left. (I haven't eased up on smoking, I've just been supplementing other tobaccos along with the Newminister.) As I write this I am smoking a bowl of it and now it is not too bad -- at least today, that is my opinion. Everything is a matter of taste.

Tell you what -- and this could have been the short answer -- if you want to try some PM me your address and I'll send you some.

17. Tony Malerich

Not a worry, thank you, I have a couple ounces jarred up myself. I split eight as part of a trade. The gentleman who got the other half really enjoyed it. I found it fine but am reminded that English is not my primary smoke.

18. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I think Altadis has a 965 Match that is available in bulk...

19. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

If all I had access to was CBW at the local grocery store I could easily smoke that one blend.

smokinjoe, TheMadMan and David Emond like this.
  20. Coastal Bend

Which Altadis blend is supposed to be close to 965? I've tried Engine 99 and Nine 2 Five that are also purported to be 965 "matches." They are ok, but not sure I'm going to re-order either -- at least not until I try a few others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.