Smoking a briar

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by jhguthlac, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highstump

highstump Active Member

My dad was the same way. He had 6 pipes as I recall and smoked the same one for a day or two. Clean it up and grab another one for the next couple of days.

2. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

My father and grandfather each had about 6 pipes.

3. brumoon

brumoon Member

My grandfather had 2 pipes - Dr. Grabow I believe. I don't remember him ever using a pipe cleaner. The cake was thicker than the bowl and they were never reamed. He smoked only PA. One pipe was smoked all day one day and the other the next.

4. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

I agree with the above comment--the pipe will let you know when to stop. I smoke the heck out of My favorite pipes on the weekend. I will dump out the ash--swab it out with a paper towel, and run a pipe cleaner through it. I got a little fan hanging in my garage--let the air help dry em between smokes. NOW---when I'm working through the week--I smoke my pipe--kinda abusive as moisture, and such can collect--I still run a pipe cleaner down in--maybe a soft puff to blow moisture into pipe. WHEN in either situation I note that even though I am not working the pipe hard--tobacco prior to lighting it was decent, but yet a little moisture developes, and maybe a slightly more relights, and the baccy doesn't burn to the bottom---due to moisture that I know I haven't dribbled down the stem, or didn't over puff/over work the pipe---ITS TIME TO GIVE THAT pipe a nice break--I usually give em a couple of days. I have pipes that ONLY see smoking on the weekends--they get a six day break in between. OH--and a decent cleaning before they are put to bed for the week.

5. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

In my above post--I simply mean--the pipe seems to smoke a little wet. Its a thing that I have come to recognize through the years. Its kinda hard for me to describe it in a clearer manor. SORRY.

6. SalopSt

SalopSt Member

I have 7 of my dad's, although I think he had several more. The ones that I have are the ones I remember him smoking; his favourites, perhaps. Aside from switching out different pipes for specific blends, or pipe styles to suit the occasion (bents while working in the yard, heading fishing, etc.), 7 seems to be the sweet spot.... one day of work, six days of rest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.