Smoking a Pipe while Golfing

Discussion in 'Need Pipe Smoking Advice? Ask an Old Fart!' started by NewA2Piper, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewA2Piper

NewA2Piper Member

I started pipe smoking about a month ago after 25 years of cigar smoking. I am enjoying pipe tobacco so much I don't really have the desire to pick up a cigar (I know I will eventually). Anyway, I am already starting to think about golf season (hard to believe when it is -14 degrees with a -35ish windchill here in Michigan right now) and trying to figure out how best to smoke a pipe while on the course.

When I smoke a cigar while golfing (which is whenever I golf), I never put it down...I swing with the cigar in my mouth and have done so since my late teens. I would prefer to find a pipe or two that I can do the same thing with. Does anyone swing with a pipe in their mouths? Any suggestions on pipe shape? I was thinking an Oom Paul might work and I like the large chamber size.

Any input is greatly appreciated. I have a few months to figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Matt

jhelms likes this.
  2. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

I took several pipes with me when I played this past summer. My $.02...if you've got the coordination to have a decent golf swing and you're capable of walking around smoking a pipe...the two aren't that difficult to combine.

I don't think I took a pipe that was over a 1/2 bent and I didn't make a huge mess, but something like an Oom Paul would minimize the liklihood of ash and/or tobacco popping out of the bowl.It's easiest when you're maintaining what I'll call a 2-3 beer buzz. :toast:

This was a MM Legend with a bent (factory) stem.

[​IMG]

Mington likes this.
  3. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator

Ya think? :laff:

I tried. Too much bother trying to focus on a pipe, lighter, tamper and a swing for me; granted, I am simpleminded. I stick with a stogie.

Mington and 12GA like this.
  4. bubbagump

bubbagump Well-Known Member

My buddy's dad got a kick out of it. I broke out the cob and Middleton's Cherry and within a few seconds of light-up...he said..."$h1t son! You got some Cherry in that?":xd:

Mington likes this.
  5. NYblacksmith

NYblacksmith Member

Hello. I love to enjoy a pipe whenever on the links. I'm the type that prefers to walk the course and generally I only drive a cart if I'm in a tournament. I like a two wheel pull cart and simply park my pipe amid the club heads at the top of the bag while I'm playing a ball. For awhile a tried the type of bag which deploys its own legs automatically as you set the bag down but didn't care for it so I went back to the cart and my old bag. The newer style bags are certainly lighter but I found the pick it up, throw the strap over my shoulder, pull it off again routine to be a pain in the ass. My newer bag didn't have the individual tube sleeves for each club either which left nowhere convenient atop the bag to set my pipe and I found myself setting it on the grass which I didn't care for or clenching which I also didn't care for. Having a pipe in one's mouth while trying to swing a golf club just doesn't work.
    The light bag didn't last long at all. My bigger bag is heavier but that doesn't matter at all on the pull cart. What I missed was the convenience of having that spot right there to set my pipe and it cradles perfectly at the 6 o'clock position on the head of the bag. Since I never use a full set of clubs (3,5,7,9,P,SW,3W,D) there is plenty of room left there at the bottom and the club heads are out of the way. If I'm not smoking I just pop it into a zip up pocket on the bag where the pouch and lighter ride.

jhelms and Mington like this.
  6. KingsTarantula

KingsTarantula Active Member

Stick with the cigar while you golf. A pipe will take from your game with all that it entails. I wish it wasn't so, but what is easiest and best if you want to play your best while golfing. But this is only my personal opinion.

7. 7ach A

7ach A Member

I smoke cigars when I golf(only 1-3 times a year). Pipes could work but its easier to put down a cigar and come back to it.

Mington likes this.
  8. datguy85

datguy85 Member

I picked up some wind caps I'm going to try this year. It gets pretty windy out there and driving a cart burns it up too quickly. I have a new hoofer carry bag and will either find a spot to wedge the mouthpiece into while swinging or make something out of wire to set it in. Swinging with it in my mouth would through me off, but may look pretty cool.. A poker pipe would sit nicely too.

jhelms likes this.
  9. NewA2Piper

NewA2Piper Member

Thanks for all the feedback.

NYblacksmith likes this.
  10. Eric Pierson

Eric Pierson Resident Giant

I only chip and putt with it in my mouth, but I can't take a full swing with it in my mouth. It always bounces off my shoulder. I doubt I could even smoke a cigar and take a full swing, hell I couldn't even do it with a cigarette, so you may be alright. I may eventually buy a nose warmer and try that, but I have enough problems with my swing without the complication of smoking a pipe. :)

11. pyronut

pyronut Member

Great suggestions. I was also wondering about the pipe and the links. I am thinking I will take a corn cob pipe out and if it isn't working out I will pull out the cigars.

12. Hofnar

Hofnar Active Member

How experienced a golfer has one to be to be qualified to give codger advice on this topic? How many years golfing and what handicap level? Just asking...

13. NewA2Piper

NewA2Piper Member

I may be speaking out of place Hofnar, but I would appreciate your advice. If you are not codger enough, please PM me. Thanks.

14. Eric Pierson

Hofnar plays with wooden woods. That's as codger as you can get.

15. NewA2Piper

NewA2Piper Member

If Hofnar still plays with wooden woods I have a feeling his suggestion(s) are going to revolve around MMs :)

16. Terry292

Terry292 Member

Former British Senior Open Champion Brian Barnes. Very rarely seen on the links without his pipe. It didn't seem to detract too much from his game:
    [​IMG]

Eric Pierson likes this.
  17. NewA2Piper

NewA2Piper Member

Thanks Terry. I need to expand my pipe collection so I can experiment. At least now we know it can be done and even at a level slightly above my own.

18. Eric Pierson

Someone put a link on here with someone blasting shots while smoking a pipe. I remember that his swing was much flatter than my own. I will add that although I do putt and chip with a pipe in my mouth, I usually perform better with out. As for handicap I am anywhere between a 12 to 20 depending on how often I play, which has been woefully low for the last five years, or with the arrival of children in my life.

19. jeff394

jeff394 Member

I usually smoke a small bowl at the turn.

20. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Active Member

Yep, I stick to the stogie when on the course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.