Smoking in a storm

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by chud333, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chud333

chud333 Member

Who else like to sit and watch the strom's roll in on a dry patio and smoke a pipe? I think it's about my favorite place to smoke.

2. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Its nice with the garage door open and sit there and do that, porch is full of motorcycles and too cold for now.
    Used to sit with my dad in the garage during rain storms, maybe one good memory.
    Either one is good in the summer, or my ratty back deck as well:)

YAPPG and chud333 like this.
  3. chud333

chud333 Member

Dad never smoked but its also one of my most cherished memories of me and my dad. We would sit on the porch and watch storms every chance we got.

4. Thuber88

Thuber88 Well-Known Member

Some special times together, and Camel non filters, and probably PBR at that time.
    For him of course:)

gentimmy, YAPPG and chud333 like this.
  5. Tate

Tate Member

I used to do this with my Mom. Something wonderful about watching the power of nature. Last time I smoked outside while watching a storm roll in was at a condo we rented at Orange beach.

The storm rolled in from the Gulf of Mexico and we could see it coming many miles away. As evening set you could see the lightning from the clouds constantly. I smoked my pipe while watching it and thinking about her. After she passed it was her wish to have her ashes scattered at sea. I felt very close to her then.

Storms and pipes make a pair if you can avoid the wind and rain.

KC2YSR, Raffxr7, YAPPG and 5 others like this.
  6. chud333

chud333 Member

That they do. Heck pipes and nature at least for me go together. I grew up in a beach house there is nothing like watching a storm come in from the ocean it is awesome.

7. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Yep I do. I was in the Florida (sun) room yesterday during the storm and it is still storming this morning. Soon as it is light, that's where I'm heading.

Mark Dawson, Raffxr7 and YAPPG like this.
  8. highstump

highstump Active Member

I spent a number of years on the eastern side of Oregon which is mostly all rolling hills and sage. Thunder storms in that country were really something. For hours at a time in the summer my son and I would sit out back of the house and watch the show. That area is high on my list of places to move to at retirement.

YAPPG, Lucky Duck and dBear like this.
  9. dmkerr

dmkerr PG- free since '83! Moderator

All the time. There's not much to see from the back porch or garage, but the front deck gives an outstanding view of storm activity. Achieving peace amidst turmoil is what pipesmoking is all about!

10. BigJ

BigJ Active Member

I also sit in the garage with the door open during storms (no covered porch available). I like it in the winter to when there's a nice snow coming down. It so quiet and peaceful. Great de-stressor.

Mark Dawson, dBear, Thuber88 and 3 others like this.
  11. Longshanks

Longshanks He who shall; so shall he... wait, who?

South Dakota is a great place to watch the weather. It's quite flat so, if you can find a small hill, you can watch lightning and fireworks displays happening miles and miles away. On the hill in Wessington Springs, SD we could watch fireworks from 3 or 4 surrounding towns while the town crew was reloading our own display. It was awesome! I also used to enjoy watching tornadoes poke out from the clouds... until they got close and mom called us to the basement for board games (and flashlights when the power was blown out). Good times, good times. Storms might make good pipe smoking weather, but I think a foggy morning in the mountains somewhere, out there in the woods surrounded by nature, would be a great place to burn a bowl, too.

12. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Active Member

chudd, every chance I get. Today, It's thunder snow here in St. Peters, Mo. I'm in the garage, with my pipes. ocasionally raising the door to observe, then back down to reheat. I love a storm.

13. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm with you , man ! I about live on my porch ... I smoke and play guitar out there and have a bunch of bird houses and feeders near by . A storm just makes it that much cooler !

14. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Rarely get really good thunderboomers here but when they do hit, they're the voice of god(she's female and seriously ticked off). Back east, watching the storms cross the lake and making patterns on the water is transfixing. The air is electric and the intensity of the flavours coming through my pipe is stepped up a few notches.

15. bosun

bosun Active Member

I'm presently a flatlander so I don't really get the majesty of an approaching thunderstorm but even down here where they measure altitude by less than fifty feet above the river bed you just can't beat mother nature.

dBear likes this.
  16. 421eme

421eme Member

I don't smoke in the house, so my little slice of heaven is my porch, which is 10'x10' and covered by the upstairs - I live in a townhouse.

Smoked cigars out there in many a storm, as wind is my favorite weather effect. We have lots of trees in the area and they catch the wind just right, enough to make you want to fall asleep out there. As for pipes, only been doing it since Jan 2013, so I've been out there for some snowstorms and it's so peaceful to watch the snow come down around you. It's picturesque with the trees, which is a healthy mix of coniferous and deciduous.

I have a lot of memories out there with my wife, Mom and Dad and my poochie. Many more to come with the pipe!

Cheers, Carl

Mark Dawson and dBear like this.
  17. CalPiper

CalPiper Member

Dont get many storms out here in SoCal, but when they do come around I like to open the doors and listen to the rain come down. And LOVE sitting on my chair out front and loading the pipe and drifting away. Although I do admit that the rest of the year we have other things here at the beach that roll around worth sitting and staring at! :banana:

Mark Dawson, dBear and MainePipe like this.
  18. User3940

User3940 Active Member

I built a sunroom on the back of the house just for the purpose of sitting out in it during lighting storms and enjoying the pipe, and dogs.

19. TheLonePipeman

TheLonePipeman Member

During a rainstorm is one of my favorite times to smoke. I can set on the tiny triangle shaped deck of my apartment and watch the rain come down. The wind and moisture do not always make for the best smoking experience, but I enjoy it anyway.

421eme and dBear like this.
  20. Riff Raff

Riff Raff Active Member

My wife and I love to sit either on the patio or garage w/door open to watch storms roll past, so when I started smoking a pipe, that made the experience all the more pleasurable.

421eme and dBear like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.