Smoking in this heat ... the Hot List

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by ruffinogold, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

It was 98 degrees in town today . The wind is almost at a standstill . It's Saturday and I've had a heck of a week staining a good sized cabin . I got bit by a wasp [ put my hand right on the nest .. duh ] and my left hand looks like a baseball glove . I was wanting to mello out and smoke some Ogdens Walnut [ a super fine blend ] but it's so damn hot that a big time rich blend is " to much " in the heat to me . Even the all Black Cavendishes seem to sweet and the smoke is to heavy in the air around me . latakia blends ... forget about it . Va's seem to be good in the heat ... mostly the lighter ones or the lemon ' bright ' kind . So here's some blends that I turn to when it's super hot . I like these blends most all year but this time of year they really rock . Whats on your " Hot list ' ?

Ruffinogolds Hot List

1. PS LTF
    2. Middletons Cherry Blend
    3. PA Cherry Vanilla
    4. Sail Green
    5. Ashton Gold Rush ... [ just got this the other day and it's a killer summer smoke !! ]
    6. SWR ... is pushing it , but is still fine in the morning
    7. Petersen & Sorensen Tradition
    8. MB GE and Scottish

Rewster66 and Old Codger like this.
  2. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

I like McClelland #5100, #5115, #2010 and Eastern Carolina Ribbon. The Eastern Carolina Ribbon does the best for me in a high heat, high humidity environment.

ruffinogold likes this.
  3. GlassSculptor

GlassSculptor Active Member

Cigars by the AC unit.....:D

Had a bowl of GH CR flake mixed with some Escudo this morning. Those two tobaccos are enjoyable year round though.

Another vote for PS Luxury Twist. It's a good muggy weather smoke!

ruffinogold likes this.
  4. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

I like C&D's Virginia Gentleman...its great for a hot day. Its like a cool glass of lemonade...light, a bit sweet, and a tad tart/spicy from the orientals...Also, Virginia Gentleman always makes me think of Thomas Jefferson, for some reason. Coincidentally, I happen to be doing a self-study of the man currently...

5. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Thanks for the list. If it ever gets warm here I'll try out some of those. Since wasps aren't high on your list of friends, if you ever see an interesting old car in a barn, slap the trunk first, wait a minute, and then open the door if there's nothing moving around in there.

ruffinogold likes this.
  6. smokinjoe

smokinjoe Member

Interesting thread. Its very hot and humid here for the majority of the year. I just learned something.
    Thanks fellers. Any one ever see a rican centerpede? nasty.I run from them.

Old Codger likes this.
  7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

Yeah, same here. They're calling for snow again tomorrow evening. Summers here are short, and take forever to arrive. Last year it came and went in the last week of July. Which beats the summer of 2004 when summer came and went on a Tuesday.

WyoBob and Old Codger like this.
  8. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

That sounds like heaven to me. I hate summer. If it were possible, I would declare my independence from it...but alas...weather...

9. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Light VAs for sure, like OGS. Some burleys
    do fine, but most others only come out at night.

10. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

The typical light stuff - Ten Russians, Compton's Balkan, Old Ironsides......:moon:

Gary, Rewster66, Jammer and 1 other person like this.
  11. IrishRover

IrishRover Active Member

Whew! 98 degrees. I have no idea what I would smoke in that kind of heat. Maybe PA, or Peterson Irish Oak. I might grab one of those, although I don't know how they would smoke in that brutal heat.
    However, one of those blends and some sweet southern tea sure sounds nice :)

ruffinogold likes this.
  12. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, P&W Rumcake, Peretti's 333 and a new one Steven Book''s Grandfather''s Blend.

ruffinogold and Rewster66 like this.
  13. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

My smoking choices don't seem to change much from one season to the other. It's mid 90s here and I just finished some MM965 in the all briar briar, whilst weeding the garden.

jpberg likes this.
  14. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

Mine don't change much, either. Lakelands, I gotta have a daily dose of the Lake sauce.

Forum Running

Monkey likes this.
  15. notsavd

notsavd Member

I have nothing to add to the list, but thank you folks so much!!!! This is my first summer with a pipe, and I was thinking of asking for recommendations of good summer smokes... Hats off in the heat, and to ruffinogold for starting this thread!

ruffinogold likes this.
  16. Degenetron

Degenetron Member

Hmm. Just had a 3 day heatwave here with no wind and the list goes thusly ;):

1. Escudo. Although. this isn't what i'd call a very summery blend.. just my favourite and couldn't stay away.
    2. Grousemore. Very fruity and nice in the start. Moves into Escudo territory towards the end, but can't very well start complaining about that ;)
    3. Frog Morton Across the pond. Smoking this in a cob is just very summery for me.
    4. Hal o' the wynd. Not my favourite, but a good, light smoke that i had an open tin of.

Oh, and almost forgot. MB Roll Cake. Actually just opened my first tin before the heat set in and it's definitely more suited for that weather then the tin of dark twist i'd just polished off. So good timing me :cool:

Darkly, ruffinogold and Old Codger like this.
  17. Coda

Coda Well-Known Member

Hot weather is very indicative to smoking a OTC from a cob, I find...

Brian, Darkly, Artistik and 2 others like this.
  18. SouthBound

SouthBound Active Member

My own prejudices and too many George Killian's Reds compel me to reiterate LOUISIANA FLAKE. Summertime, wintertime, anytime. You can't be disappointed.

Forum Running

Mike Pomery likes this.
  19. Darkly

Darkly Active Member

I got my 8oz tin of H&H AJ's Vaper.. That's been hitting the spot today for sure!

Gary likes this.
  20. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

When are you going to quit the light stuff and move to the heavies? :ohyh:

Old Codger, jpberg and dwaugh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.