Smoking Kills

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by SBritton, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBritton

SBritton Member

2. Rider

Rider Member

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

In Canada, tobacco products are labelled like that.... almost 50/50 brand and "You are gonna go to hell for smoking"

4. Jay

Jay Active Member

Smoking doesn't make you go to hell, it just makes you smell like you've been there!

It's just more garbage to scare children and make do-gooders feel appreciated for saving your life LOL

5. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I believe there's an EU directive that all tobacco products sold in the EU must have some kind of warning. I have some tins from JJ Fox which say "Smokers Die Younger".

Still, better than tins bought in Singapore where the entire tin cover is stickered with the photo of a smoker's exposed lungs! The poor guy is on the operating table and he's made into tin art!

6. Falconeer

Falconeer Active Member

Basically EEC Legislataion - and the warnings have just got bigger; the new illustrations are quite amausing if you have that sense of humour (graveyard??) the current pack in my hand features a corpse tastefully laid out in the mortuary in a fetching shade of blue.

I've posted the most amusing ones so far "Smoking while pregnant damages the health of your unborn child" - very sensible as I see a lot of lady pipesmokers about on the streets! "Smoking damages your sperm count and may prevent you having children" - sure wish I'd know this earlier, as I have four, and I'd have smoked a lot more!

As to going to Hell, well most of the people I ever liked will be there anyway so I can live with that,

Gerry

7. phinz

phinz Active Member

It's the Nanny State's directive. Save us from ourselves.

8. Marc

Marc Active Member

It's only a matter of time before EU labeling will start appearing on tobacco tins in the US. I'm sure it's on the FDA's list of things to do now that they have regulation over tobacco products.

9. Burner

Burner Member

Another reason to leave the EU supernannystate. Fortunately the stickers are pretty easy to get off tins. Where not possible take a sharpie and put an "S" before the "kills" - Yes I have done this and blacked out the ugly "blood and guts" pictures too!

10. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

Gonernment sucks ..... it's that simple . ;)

11. SBritton

SBritton Member

Nah, that is just the advertisement for the new Sir Walters.

12. dubhdarra

dubhdarra Active Member

there's a guy who wants the entire front of the pack except the bit that says "marlboro" or whatever brand to be a tirade against cigarettes and how they make your junk not work until you die a horrible painful death at the age of +1 week to whenever you started smoking.

there have actually been multiple bills proposed.

13. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Ah that explains it! For a while I thought it was for the new "Blood and Guts" mixture ;-)

14. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

By 2012 in Australia, all cigarette packaging will be plain text, with 80% of the packet being pictures of gangrenous toes etc.

I wonder if the same treatment will be given to other forms of tobacco?

Either way, people are just going to spring for retro style containers to replace their sullied packaging.

15. Unforgivin

Unforgivin Active Member

16. Mike Pomery

Mike Pomery Active Member

It really is.

Shameful part is most people don't have the common sense to see when they are being screwed. Perhaps the more saddening part is the people who do see are just as powerless as the blind.

17. phinz

phinz Active Member

Maybe somebody should start marketing cool stickers/covers that go over the "warning." They could be funny, serious, pretty or just plain fun.

18. dajones

dajones Member

You know, every breath you take takes away a breath from your lifetime supply; in other words: with every breath you take, you are one breath closer to death.

Just sayin'.

19. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

This is a rather odd thread for PSF and probably should be continued on After Hours.

I'm inclined to close this thread if it gets to political......

Just say'n

The Management

20. woody

woody Admin Admin

What he said.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.