Smoking Log

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Coastal Bend, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coastal Bend

Coastal Bend Get off my lawn...

In another thread there was some discussion about how long a pouch of tobacco would last and discussion turned to how many bowls various PSF members smoked in the course of a day. I guessitmated a number and added I had thought about tracking.

Last week I actually did a tracking. I could have just kept hash marks on a post-it note, I suppose. But, that is where the OCD (or list-making gene) kicked in. I put a fresh pad on the corner of my desk and noted the time I started the pipe, which pipe I smoked and what I smoked. On the second day I realized I could also add in how long the bowl lasted. (I know. I know. It's a little over the top, but I was curious.)

For me I found for those days I was smoking 10 bowls, with an average time of about 50-some minutes. some were about 40 minutes and the new Rhodesian would go about an hour and a half.
    It was just an experiment. Kind of interesting. Anyone else ever do this? Or think about it?

WyoBob and N3M0 like this.
  2. Johnny

Johnny Member

I started keeping a log of how many bowls my two ounce tin of Billy Budd would give me. I see lots of people saying they are smoking a few grams per bowl and I thought that to be a bit much. I'm five bowls into the tin and it doesn't seem like I've barely touched it. Same as you, using tally marks next to the pipes I'm using on a post it note

Coastal Bend likes this.
  3. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

I believe that was me ;)

I think the log you did is fantastic!

I do have a question though, how small are the bowls you're packing? I have "normal" sized pipes and for whatever reason my bowls last easily double yours, am I doing something wrong LOL. Perhaps putting too much tobacco in? My draw isn't restricted at all or anything like that. I do have about 5 relights per bowl though on average. If I smoked 10 bowls a day (sometimes I want too) there wouldn't be enough time in the day at the rate I go. Not that I'm unhappy about having a pipe last that long, just I need to make sure I can have at least 2 hours of uninterrupted time to ensure I am able to smoke a bowl through. Which doesn't happen often with a 6 mo old in the house :)

Coastal Bend likes this.
  4. Coastal Bend

My rotation for those days included several cobs, such as the POY (Pride), Great Dane Egg and Fifth Ave. -- which many might call moderate sized bowls -- some briars, such as a Cellini I can put my thumb in up to the knuckle, the Invicta Briar Rhodesian, which has a bowl diameter of .94" (according to their web site) and a smallish bowl meerschaum. I work at home. Start at 7 am and the day (not all work) goes until about 11 pm. It was a weekday tracking. I smoke less on the weekends because I am out and about -- and didn't track then because it was too inconvenient.

(I can understand interruptions. We have a two-year old g-daughter -- and her mother -- staying with us right now. I am making up for all those diaper changes I missed with my children because I worked so many hours when they were young. :) )

5. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

Hmm, so maybe I am putting too much tobacco in my pipe somehow...even though it's not over filled or packed too tight.

Very interesting.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  6. Coastal Bend

I would never presume to tell you that you're over (or under) filling your pipes. If the draught is good and you're comfortable with the smoke you are fine. Just keep on keepin' on.

As they say, YMMV. :)

7. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

If I get one bowl a day I'm fortunate. Time just doesn't allow at this point in life. I don't smoke in my house, and I don't care to be rushed at work. So there's never been a question of how many bowls per day. But I do wonder how many bowls I get from say a two ounce tin. I've noticed too that flake seems to go much faster than shag cut tobaccos.

Interesting to say the least.

Coastal Bend likes this.
  8. smokerpipe

smokerpipe Member

My rotation is 7-8 pipes per day. I smoke in house, on job also. In one week, I smoked 54 bowls and 7 ounces of tobacco.

N3M0 and Coastal Bend like this.
  9. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I smoke anywhere from 0 to 6 bowls a day, depending on what I feel like smoking at any given time. Never really put much thought into keeping track of how many bowls I got per tin though...

Coastal Bend likes this.
  10. woody

woody Admin Admin

sorringowl had some very nice leather log books he made a while back.

11. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Send the data to Dwaugh, he'll graph it for you and point out trends! I actually have thought about this but for about three or four months it would have been frog morton in the Sas, frog morton in the pete, frog morton in the cob, etc.

dwaugh likes this.
  12. N3M0

N3M0 Active Member

All of you other guys who replied to this thread, what is the average length of time a bowl lasts? I really am quite curious now, especially since my shortest smoke on record is close to the 2 hour mark

13. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Over the top? Welcome to my world. I started a spreadsheet 2 1/2 years ago when I started back on the pipe. I listed type of tobacco, manufacture, my rating on a 0-4 scale, name of tobacco, type(s) of tobacco in the blend, the pipe it was smoked in, burn time and notes as it relates to burn quality, i.e. wet or dry smoker, gurgle, etc., value, relights, etc.

I smoke MM natural Diplomats 90% of the time with LNF and have an average of 60-70 min. burn time. One and a half hour burn times in my meer or MM Freehand or General. I found that va/vapers had a longer burn time by far when compared to Balkans and OTC's (PA, for instance, being a very quick burner.)

WyoBob

14. Jayson H Bucy

Jayson H Bucy Member

Depends on the size of the pipe but generally about an hour. My Sas pipe can go for 1.5 if I'm sippin slowly

15. DGErwin11

DGErwin11 Moderator Moderator

I thought this thread was about a new big ugly Sas pipe shape.:rolleyes:
    Edit: I did not mean to imply Sas is big and ugly. Or new.

16. Preacher1611

Preacher1611 Active Member

I tend to pack half to 3/4 full bowls with the rare full bowl, (though full bowls are becoming more common), so I tend to smoke for 30min. to an hour per bowl depending on the pipe and amount of baccy packed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.