1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

sMoking outside

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by user2453, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user2453

user2453 Member

For those pipesmokers like myself who are limited to outdoor smoking most of the time, how do you like to handle the colder months? We have a natural gas line that is available for use on a covered patio and I was thinking of looking into an outdoor heater for next year.

I took up pipesmoking about 6 months ago and spending a total of 4 hours per day outside it got pretty cold at tines.

Have any of you comments or recommendations on an outdoor heater? Also I feel I need a decent smoking chair as well. Patio furniture seems overpriced for what you get, I might pick up a camping chair.

I am the only smoker in the household and my parents don't spend much time outside unless the grandkuds are over. But they happen to be the ones who suggested I use an outdoor heater.

2. Dutchking22

Dutchking22 Member

I have my daddy's old bomber jacket, a hat and a hoodie. Gloves are optional (but useless)

3. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

The outdoor heater can be a great thing. The main consideration is how tall it is, how much clearance you have for heat to escape. They come in a variety of sizes and styles.

The smokers in my building put one in a covered area in the roof garden. It is a small one that actually sits on a table top. It is great as long as you are sitting at the table but not much further. the taller ones that you can walk under heat a much larger area. You want to hook it to the house if you can. Four hours a day, if using bottled gas, gets pricey.

You want to protect it from wind, of course. The small one works for us because this is a mild area, no serious winter weather, just rain, rain, and yes, more rain.

The real problems come when the others in the house start liking it and don't want you to smoke when they are using it. We banned non smokers from our little club house. Harsh, I suppose, but it solved a lot of problems. Sometimes democracy just doesn't work.:)

4. Trippwire

Trippwire Member

Cut a slit in a big woolen blanket and wear it as a poncho over a tracksuit and ugg boots. A beanie on the head and you're good to go.
    I use a rocking chair outside.

How cold does it get where you are?

5. user2453

user2453 Member

Not frigid or anything, this year in Oregon we had a lot of days in the twenties and thirties. Breezy too

6. RTOdhner

RTOdhner Well-Known Member

I saw a picture of an outside smoking lounge several years ago. It was heated by a fire pit, and had the Aderondock style wood furniture. It looked very inviting. The Aderondock wood furniture is a little pricey, but I've seen heavy-duty plastc knoockoffs for about $30 a chair.

7. Hudson

Hudson Member

How about an electric blanket and an extension cord? (Use a GFCI)

The last house I had in Seattle had a fireplace outside under a translucent roof and it was ideal for Cinco de Mayo parties. New Years Eve, not so much.

8. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

I just bundled up and layered on. The coldest day I smoked outside was probably about -15 C or so. The killer is the wind. I might have to get a small block heater for our balcony for next winter.

9. JescoWhite

JescoWhite Member

You just need a snuggie. If you get one please send us a picture of you smoking while wearing it :D. JK of course.

Ted Vig likes this.
  10. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

But seriously, there were times where I'd use one :byg:

11. MakDragon

MakDragon Illegitimi non carborundum

Cold months are tough. I am in the same situation as yourself. Makes for a long winter. Fortunately here in the north east, it was a mild winter. I have one of those heat lamps as well. As long as the wind isnt blowing its ok.

12. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Yeah, this winter wasn't too bad and I only started with the pipe in February, so I didn't suffer too much, though there were a couple of cold ones that made me question my sanity.

13. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

I start the truck up 15 minutes before hand.
    However, I do go through a LOT of petrol
    in the winters. LOL

14. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

When it's cold here, it also has a tendency to be windy at the same time. Neighbour is in the predicament you are. Can't smoke in the house, child has asthma. Built a little garden shed from a kit a couple of years ago, ran an extention cord to it and put a nice big comfortable chair in it. It's been painted up to match the house and now has the house address on it with a 1/2 suffix. Now has two chairs and two windows in it. Three steps from the back door.

15. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

That's a great setup, but I doubt a shed would fit on the balcony of my apartment.

16. MacNutz

MacNutz Active Member

Balcony? Well, the little heater we have might be perfect for you. I will post a pic of our roof top smoking den, as soon as I figure our how. :) I imagine that the weather here in Vancouver is similar to Seattle and the west coast of Washington and Oregon.

17. user2725

user2725 Active Member

What colder months? I'm in Florida, I waited all winter long and it never showed.

18. Artistik

Artistik Active Member

Here, here! and now it's summer, lol!

19. jdto

jdto Well-Known Member

Vancouver, eh? You guys get milder winters than us, as the norm, though this past winter was easy. I'm in Toronto :)

A small heater on my balcony and a Snuggie is probably the best solution for next year.

20. ruffinogoldswife

ruffinogoldswife The Mayor's Wife

I just didn't smoke as much this winter as I had wanted. We have a very nice screened in porch which is fine for for a quick smoke, but if it's too cold, you just can't sit back and enjoy that big bowl of heavy English you've been waiting all year for. Next year we will have some kind of heater out there and maybe even some plastic up on the screen.:D

dwaugh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.