Smoking Pipes, Carter Hall, EGR, SWR, etc.

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by JimInks, Jun 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimInks

JimInks Well-Known Member

Earlier today, I called Smoking Pipes to place an order for Three Nuns and Capstan Blue, plus a few other tins I wanted to try. The lady who took my order is also a purchasing agent for the company. I took the opportunity to ask her about carrying Carter Hall, Walnut, Sir Walter Raleigh, and SWRA in tubs. It's always surprised me that they sell the pouches and not the tubs, considering their high standing in the pipe tobacco world. I pointed out the trouble P&C has been having keeping Carter Hall and Walnut in stock, and that they were losing business to other retailers, and that SP should carry Carter Hall in particular, especially considering it's long popularity in our community. I related how many smokers on this and other forums are dedicated to CH and the other tobaccos, and will buy it from them if they carry it. She seemed very interested in what I had to say. Her response was that carrying these mixtures will be considered, but it would help it people e-mailed and request that they carry them.

I know SP will listen to their customers because of what happened in regard to Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend. They read the various threads I started, and saw the demand was there from potential consumers, so they started carrying it and Heine's Blend based solely on those threads. Btw, they sold out of EGR very quickly, and as of today, have replenished their stock. I told the lady that Sutliff will be offering EGR in one and a half ounce tins, and she said they would carry it when that happens.

As seen by the EGR example, we have the power to influence change by informing SP of our desires. Their excellent customer service is already well known by many of us, and a little effort on our side will likely have a similar result. So, if you want Smoking Pipes to carry CH, SWR, SWRA, and Walnut, I urge you to let them know ASAP. It's in our best interests as well as theirs.

Ksummers99, Slow Tri, dBear and 8 others like this.
  2. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

After the move, I noticed P&C had CH in pouches one day. That was it. No tubs. With so many devoted to that blend. Smoking Pipes should carry it. So few places carry Walnut, it would be a definite plus if they had it in stock also.

JimInks likes this.
  3. JRobert

JRobert Hermit Forum Guide

I definitely support asking SP to carry more drugstore blends in tubs. However, I want to remind people that 4Noggins regularly has tubs of these blends, and they offer a 10% PSF discount. I would be much more interested in asking SP to also offer a 10% PSF discount...

4. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

I get 90% of my tobacco from Smoking Pipes. Fast shipping and orders filled accurately. An order I placed a few hours ago is going out on the brown truck this evening. That would be nice for them to carry more OTC's.

JimInks likes this.
  5. JimInks

They certainly would get more business if they did that. But even if they don't, it helps to have them carry the tubs. I order from 4Noggins because they give great service, free shipping, and the 10% discount. SP has two out of three. Maybe they'll change that if enough people ask? It always helps to have your voice heard.

Rondel: e-mail them and let them know how you feel.

Old Codger and Thuber88 like this.
  6. rondel65

10-4 Jim

JimInks likes this.
  7. rondel65

Email has been sent!

JimInks likes this.
  8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I wish SP carried some regular priced pipes , other than the cheaper Savinelli . I've made some good sized orders in the last few months , for me anyway , and only once was it an order from SP because they have G&H Top Black Cherry and wvsmokeshop doesn't . They are a fantastic company , I aint knockin them , but [ imo ] theyre a bit to high end for me when it comes to pipes . They started carrying SWR a little while ago , which was nice to see . Their pipe accessories are kinds to high end for me too . I guess what I'm sayin is I'd like them to have blue collar or poor mans section .. lol . Really , wvsmokeshop has almost everything I need .... except G&H TBC

Coastal Bend, Skrymr, Coda and 2 others like this.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall Active Member

I had asked them last year when they were going to start carrying Carter Hall and the response I got was they were trying. So I don't know what issues or complications could be involved but I've always found it surprising that they didn't carry it.

JimInks likes this.
  10. JimInks

The lady didn't even know who produced the tobacco, which greatly surprised me. I had to tell her.

5H4N3 likes this.
  11. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

If WV Smoke Shop carried PS Proper English, I would never have a reason to shop anywhere else.

12. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

:startl: And she is the purchasing agent for a tobacco retailer? :doh:

Just Wow!

JimInks likes this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Active Member

Maybe she just has good taste in tobacco?

14. David Emond

David Emond Active Member

ohhhhhhhh Zinggggggg lol

northernsmoke, JimInks and Old Codger like this.
  15. 5H4N3

5H4N3 Active Member

Touche.
    However my post was intended to address her obvious lack of product knowledge, within her chosen profession.
    Her personal taste is not relevant, in the context of purchasing high demand products.

16. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

5H4N3 and Skrymr like this.
  17. rondel65

Hello Ron,

I will definitely present this to our product manager. I can't promise anything but we will certainly discuss and consider adding more OTC style blends to our inventory. Thank you for the input, it is much appreciated. Take care,

Phillip McDaniels in customer service ext.127

This was the response to my email I sent yesterday to SmokingPipes regarding adding more OTC's. They got back to me fairly quickly. I was impressed with the quick response. The NSA most likely read it before me.

LutzSpearo and JimInks like this.
  18. cobbsmoker

cobbsmoker Active Member

:xd::laff::haha::rofl:

19. mecompco

mecompco Active Member

Email sent. My 14oz. tub is nearing depletion and though I can buy the pouches locally, the big tub is by far the most economical way to procure it.

JimInks likes this.
  20. Biggles

Biggles Active Member

Ditto. Good lookin' out Jim! :puffy:

JimInks likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.