1. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Smoking ruined dinner tonight.

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by CustomDave, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CustomDave

CustomDave Member

Nov 4, 2010
    So, I am pretty new to pipe smoking. Been at it about a month I guess and really enjoying it.

Tonight I decided to grill some KC strip steaks I had bought earlier this week. Nicely trimmed thick cut. They looked mouthwatering. I consider myself to be pretty good at grilling and BBQing in general. Smoking and grilling meats is a true family tradition and something I have known how to do for as long as I can remember. I can't remember the last time I ruined a meat on the grill before tonight.

So Tonight when I light up the grill I decide to light up the pipe with my new favorite blend called Irish Whiskey from a local B&M. Once the coals were at the right temp I threw the steaks on (off heat cooking of course) and added a few wood chips to give a bit of smokey flavor. About that time I noticed how well the pipe had been smoking up to that point. For the first time I could really taste some flavor and was getting no bite whatsoever. It was fantastic. I just relaxed in the chair on the deck and listened to some blues music. Really enjoying the pipe for the first time. After a few songs I got up and flipped the steaks. They were still looking good at this point, and the toby was still tasting great. I sat back in the chair enjoying the music and the pipe. Only had to re light it once, which was a real treat for me. Everything pipe wise was going better than ever. Then I realized the bowl was empty and wondered how long I had been sitting there. I rushed over to check the steaks. While not burned they were definitely well done. :thumbsdown: I prefer a pretty rare cooked steak.

Lesson learned today: Smoke after dinner not while cooking it. Unless it is something that takes a bit to cook like ribs. :bigyellowgrin:
  2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Been there, done that, completely killed some sausages.
  3. yinyang

yinyang Some rim charring is to be expected.

Feb 11, 2010
    Food? Who cares? You had a sublime pipe 'smoke'. All else pales in comparison. (Besides, rare steaks suck.)
  4. Tsurugi

Tsurugi Member

Aug 15, 2010
    That sounds both great and horrible at once.
    I like a rare steak too btw.
  5. tsgourley

tsgourley Member

May 2, 2010
    Sounds like a great weight loss strategy for me, too. Hungry? Smoke a pipe while cooking and soon your food will be too charred to eat!
  6. akohtz

akohtz Member

Oct 6, 2010
    I've gotten 'distracted' when grilling before and some fairly expensive cuts of meat suffered the consequences. I hate that.

- Andrew
  7. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Welcome to PSF and see my sig line below.
  8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Congratz! You got caught up in the moment of a "nirvana smoke"! They don't come by so often that you forget everything that's going on except what's in the bowl............that is unless it always happens and that's a different diagnosis altogether! Great smoke will get you through more than a well cooked steak. Next time, try multi-tasking.........smoking the pipe and grilling too! You'll enjoy it better!

Ed Puff!
    cogito ergo puff
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.