Smoking vintage tins ?

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by ChrisD, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

I know that it is somewhat common practice to pick up vintage tins of 20, 30, 40, or even 50 years old on occasion from pipes/tobacco swaps/shows, or from wherever they may become available. And I know this may be a noob question, but what do you guys think about smoking these vintage tins? What is there to generally look out for? Any reason not to smoke a vontage tin ? Please share your thoughts and experieinces about the safety of smoking vintage tins.

2. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

At some point, this idea of aged tobacco becomes more novelty than reality.

Now. I've been lucky enough to have been served some exquisite stuff. Well aged Mullinger's Moynhall Oriental, well aged Velvet, if you can believe that, well aged Rattrays and McCranies... I've been honored with some really nice gifts of 10 and 20 year old stuff, not to mention the old tin of Club Dubdharra sent me.

All of it was great. Every last shred.

But. There is a limit. Depending on the type of leaf and the treatment, things will either stagnate after a few years, or get worse, or lose some of the delicacy etc. And after 40 years in a tin, most of the subtlety of a blend, the intended flavors, are gonna be gone. That's not to say it will be awful, it might be great, but it won't be anything like the original product. So if you are smoking a tin of 1921 revelation, hoping it tastes like what Einstein smoked, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Chief danger with old tins is a bad seal or rusting out, leaving dessicated powder inside.

I'd say you're far better off to buy top quality stuff now and age it on your own for a few years. It's not hard to build a cellar at 6 bucks a tin.

3. ryan65

ryan65 Member

i to believe there are limitations to aging, i think 6 to 10 years is the peak in my opinion, longer than that is ok but i dont think the flavor is going to improve much after that and who wants to wait that long?

i think its a mind game more than anything, if you open a 20-30 year old tin your mind is tricking you into believing its the greatest flavor of all time because you know its very old. aside from that, you defiantly will notice a real change in flavor sometimes within only a few weeks to a month. that all the time i need :Banane55:

4. jpberg

jpberg Moderator Moderator

A few years ago I was left some tobacco from a friend who passed away. Two of the tins were MM 10 from the mid 60s. I smoked through one tin using a couple of pipes the fellow had previously given me. I find it hard to objectively rate how good that tobacco was, because anytime you smoke something of that vintage, especially under the circumstances that I came to have it, there are unquantifiable forces at work.

I can tell you that the tobacco was so tame that I'm sure it had lost some oomph, but it was still quite tasty, and I'm glad I had the opportunity.

I don't think that I would spend a lot of money to go after tins of that vintage, hell I wouldn't spend a lot to go after 90s vintage stuff. Too much good stuff, as others have already said, is available now and will be just yummy in five or so years.

5. Snake

Snake permanent ankle biter

Only vintage tins I've smoked are my Caledonians.
    I'm on my last tin of 421. :Banane55: :thumbsu:
    Still smokes the same as it did almost 10 years
    ago, so not much change. Savouring every last
    bowl of it though. I had slight oxidation on
    a tin of melange 10, but it didn't affect the
    toby. Older tins? I'd be leery. YMMV

dp

6. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

There is a certain blend that I really want to try, but it seems the only tins I am able to locate are from around the 70's. Do you guys think this may just be too old to actually smoke ?

7. jpberg

What is it?

8. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Ruffinogold-Mayor, I.R.G.E.--At Large. Mayor

I'm one for buying what I want and smoking it then . However , lately I've been stocking up cause I think the government is about to go nuts .I've had two aged blends ... MB Mxture And another that I blended . I can say that after 6 years the scottish mixture got better . Still toasty but with more umph and smoother as well . The suff I blended [va/cav] seemed to smooth a bit after two years . It was better..I had a few bowls of dunhill london that was 10 years old, I was told ,and It was smoother than fresh . I'm no pro on aging but from what I can tell ... It smoothes things out

9. ChrisD

ChrisD Member

BS

10. Dondi

Dondi Active Member

I'd be willing to try out a tin. Will let you know if it was worth it :velho:

11. jpberg

If the tin is okay, I bet the tobacco will be pretty tasty. You are going to pay though the nose for 70s vintage BS, I hope you really, really want to try it.

12. jpberg

13. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Beware shopping for vintage BS unless you know, for sure, what you're buying and who is selling it (and backing it up).

I would ague against buying the best of it at any price; either you'll pay $250 for something that you think sucks or, worse yet, you'll love it and then there ain't no more.

Take the money and put it towards a few pounds of the Comptons Macedonian Mixture.

14. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

I am a big fan of Erinmore Flake. Last year, a good friend turned me on to a shop that had several sleeves of VERY well aged Erinmore Cube Cut...Murrays stuff from the early 70's, when production ended. I bought a sleeve and opened a tin. Comparing the Cube Cut to today's Flake is like prime rib to hamburger.....this stuff is delicious!

That vintage tin of BS is the real stuff....Pipe Stud has access to some outstanding vintage tins. I've seen the same stuff go close to $200 a tin. However much I like older tobaccos, the prices for some of these (Balkan Sobranie, Bohemian Scandal, Three Nuns etc...)are far too high for my budget. I would pay $60-70 for the right blend, but no more.

So, yes, some tobaccos do age well, and are worth the extra $$$ to buy. You and you alone, must decide how *much* extra it's worth.....to you!

15. jpberg

Earlier in the year I spent 80 bucks for 2 tins of Red Wax McC Anniversary. That's a lot for me to spend on 200g of tobacco, but I know what it is, and I know what it will taste like, so I did it. Moo is spot on with the Comptons suggestion, he turned me on to that stuff, and it is fantastic. So my final vote is, unless you have some very strong sentimental reason (Grandpa smoked it, etc.),you can do a lot more with your money, and get a lot more satisfaction.

16. Mister Moo

Mister Moo Normal Cow Moderator Moderator

Confess. You are are hopeless latakia-head!

Vintage-schmintage. I've had both and Comptons isn't Balkan Sobranie at $120/ounce but it ain't too shabby, either.

Murray-schmurray. Nothing wrong with Royal Yacht and 965 if you had the most recent production.

WTH? Vintage is a rich kids playground that satisfies the ego 5x-more than the palate. We are smack dab in the middle of a Virginia & Burley Golden Age.... I don't need no stinking vintage. Except Momoyama, pre-1990 Balkan Sobranie and Barry Levin Ring Glow. And a couple of other things. Except for therm I don't need no stinking vintage. And Momoyama II.

17. Sweatsack

Sweatsack Member

Part of the appeal of pipe tobacco over cigars, to me, is that piping is still ridiculously cheap. It is a very rare occasion that I get to drop $200 on a treat for myself and it sure as hell isn't going to be something I incinerate. You may be in a very different economic situation, but still, I just don't see the appeal of dropping 20 times the dough on something that might be 10% better (if you could quantify it), other than to say you've done it. It might be cool once but mostly for the novelty.

18. atwageman

atwageman Member

Ive seen tubs of Balkan Sobranie going for more $300

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.