Smoking with an Infection

Discussion in 'The Smoking Lounge' started by Mattzoso, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

Today I found out I've got an infection caused by wisdom teeth. I was supposed to get them pulled years ago but it never happened. It got a lot worse a few hours ago. Right now it feels like I'm chewing glass. I can't sleep and can't eat. And I'm figuring I can't smoke either. Will smoking a pipe irritate my gums more or will it be unnoticeable? I'm going to a dentist first thing in the morning.

Themadking and jhelms like this.
  2. rondel65

rondel65 Misplaces Lighters

Conventional wisdom says to put the pipe down until your mouth heals. I would. Sorry for your misery. I've been there with the wisdom teeth curled up in a fetal position. No need to introduce smoke to the problem. Get well soon!

3. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

Will do. Thanks!

4. miracle419

miracle419 Member

Bill Hicks?

5. Doc Sixstring

Doc Sixstring Active Member

sorry to hear that. I'd skip the pipe for a little while until it heals. get some pain meds and take it easy!

6. phatdaddynxn

phatdaddynxn Member

Not saying you should smoke, but I heard nicotine we anti-inflmitory.

7. Billy Ockham

Billy Ockham Notice when you’re happy.

I probably wouldn't smoke the evening before I visited the dentist, infection or not. I would think it is the courteous thing to do.

Those folks have a pretty nasty job. I wouldn't start their day by greeting them with morning-after-pipe breath, and sometimes brushing and mouthwash just doesn't clear it.

8. Billy Ockham

Billy Ockham Notice when you’re happy.

Sorry to threadjack.

And I can honestly appreciate your sincere intent to help, but doctors prescribe these medications based on an examination that reveals a specific diagnosis with knowledge of their patient's concomitant medical conditions, medication history, possible side effects, and a specific plan for treatment, among other very important factors which tobacco forum posts do not address.

If a person has access to a doctor, there is no questioning that as the best approach.

Additionally, there is the more common sense approach of perhaps not ingesting anything bought on ebay and intended for fish.

Just my .02, but lordy...please don't do this.

Smokey Tom and County Mountie like this.
  9. wmblake

wmblake Member

just5042, Billy Ockham and miracle419 like this.
  10. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

What can I say? I like the picture.

And I'm sorry that the thread was so derailed.

11. KleinToit

KleinToit Member

Nicotine is anti-inflammatory, but it also suppresses the immune system, so I would give it a break. Also as a 'chronic' tooth infection sufferer (got my dads teeth, he had all his pulled at 26 yo) I can tell you from experience that the hot air will not do you any favors pain wise, either you have to go with heat, or cold, but its EXTREMELY painful to go from one to the other...

Edit: I sometimes gargle a bit of mouthwash or whisky when the pain gets bad and I'm already maxed out on the pain meds...

12. just5042

just5042 Member

clove oil. those toothache kits are good. I have a lady friend who swears a bit of teatree oil on a cotton swab stick it in the gums but have not had the need to try that one yet. had old timers say bite down on an asprin and keep it in place until its gone. I have tried this and im not convinced but when a tooth hurts... hope you find something and get well soon. I prob would not smoke but thats just me. the threat of the possibility that it might make for more pain. :cfsd:

13. derangedhermit

derangedhermit Reclusive member

I had my only two wisdom teeth, the lowers, removed years ago, after a few years of on-and-off pain and swelling. My wife had recently had all four of hers removed by our dentist. He looked at my x-ray and said "I did your wife's, but I'm no hero." (Mine were sideways.) He sent me to an oral surgeon, who greeted me, not by giving his name when we shook hands, but by saying "You'll never feel pain in my office." And I didn't. :) Later, though...

just5042 likes this.
  14. Smokey Tom

Smokey Tom Active Member

Yeah I would definitely hit up a dentist A.S.A.P.! Thats not the kind of pain that does away easily, nor is it very tolerable for long periods.

15. Gothicmace

Gothicmace Member

good old fashioned lipton tea bags. Just take a tea bag... and put it by the painful tooth.... it acts as a pollis and will help draw out the infection and the tea and mild caffine level will act as a numbing agent.... but I would agree with putting the pipe away until that heals up.
    I do hope you feel better soon.. give us an update when you are all better
    Cheers
    Mike

16. gentimmy

gentimmy Active Member

Definitely skip the pipe. Go to your oral surgeon ASAP, you'll be out two weeks with fear of dry sockets. You'll be alright if you "sip" the pipe at least 5 days after surgery. I can give you the address to send your pills

Billy Ockham likes this.
  17. Mattzoso

Mattzoso Member

I have returned. I am so sorry for the delay. Almost a year...quite embarrassing. But I have recovered with no problems and I was back to smoking a pipe after a few months!

Themadking, JWG25, ducat2 and 2 others like this.
  18. Rabbit

Rabbit Member

Welcome back and good health.

ducat2 likes this.
  19. Omar Serrato

Omar Serrato Member

800mg motrin plus 500mg extra strength tylenol until you can get to a dentist.

20. jhguthlac

jhguthlac Active Member

Appropriate time to see this thread. Entire left side of my face hurts. Sinus infection. Wondering whether of not to have a pipe.

JWG25 and ducat2 like this.