1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

smooth vs rusticated

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by David Emond, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnny Dingo

Johnny Dingo Writer of wrongs

I usually like a smooth finish for my pipes. But every once in a while, I'll see a rusticated pipe (real rustication, not the carving you see on some Dr. Grabow pipes) and I'll say, "Damn, that's a nice pipe." I like sandblasting, too. Then you have stuff like the steam- and gear-punk pipes that Nate makes that combine the two textures. Done right, the contrast is gorgeous. But the first "nice" pipe I get is gonna be a smooth finish.

2. Apophis

Apophis Member

I like black sandblasted pipes, but only the small ones. Sandblast does not look good on big pipes.

3. StoneGiant

StoneGiant Member

I agree, every smooth finish I have is hotter than a rusticated finish. Maybe a rusticated surface dissapates heat better than a smooth one? A science major I am not. (also replied before reading rest of thread, reading on in suspense to see if anyone has a better answer)

Bman64 likes this.
  4. Tony Malerich

Tony Malerich Active Member

I can't quite explain it concisely but I'll try my best - so your pipe is getting hot. Given that rustications often aren't THAT deep, the whole outer surface of the pipe will be more-or-less evenly heated. Because of the texture, you're actually coming in contact with less of the bowl so there are fewer places to transfer the heat to your fingers.

Bman64 likes this.
  5. hansel

hansel Member

so i know less about this than i thought, i thought that sandblasting was rusticating?

so whats the diff between the two?

6. neoclassical

neoclassical Member

My 2 coolest pipes are blasted (Stanwell), and rusticated to where it looks blasted Sav), and I suspect this may be part of why they do.

7. hansel

hansel Member

so how come longchamp wrapped there ****ty briar in leather instead of sandblast them?

8. Hawkwood

Hawkwood Member

I prefer rusticated and blasts for smoking but I must say beautifully figured grain on a smoothie [particularly 360 birdseye] is a wonder to behold.

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Well-Known Member

Prefer smooth finishes. Have two rusticated, one old Peterson meerschaum and one briar, that are now worn smooth in some places.

10. Arkie

Arkie Active Member

Sorry, no. Steel is a heat conductor. Wood is an insulator.

Dondi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.