1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.

Snagged a Hercules Bulldog on Ebay...What to do now...?

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by ArmedOctopus, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russell Hartman

Russell Hartman Stay Silver

OH YEAh--absolutely gorgious Bulldog. I like the stem too. Fella thats a mighty fine score right there. Really nice pipe for a decent price. I agree with a soft bristled tooth brush and then wax her up. You got yourself an awesome pipe. Congrats on getting it and most of all enjoy it.:thu2::banana::bdance:

2. Rodfather

Rodfather Active Member

Think a long time before you do any sanding on the rim. I appears that it really doesn't need it. Sanding will materially change the pipe. But hell it's you pipe and you only paid 19 bucks for it, do what you want to with it.

ArmedOctopus likes this.
  3. Springer

Springer Member

That really is a sweet pipe! I agree with soap and water and a soft toothbrush. You might want to use Murphy's Oil Soap, it is very wood friendly and not like bubble bath. It is "partially saponified". Meaning the lye content is low and not all the oil was converted to soap. Hence the name. Very gentle and effective stuff. Mix some in a coffee cup, scrub, then towel it off with a rough terry cloth towel. Voila! Clean pipe!

4. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Where would I get something like that? Walmart?

5. Springer

Springer Member

Yep, or most any grocery store. I usually find it near the furniture polish section. If you see that then narrow your search down. It was made specifically for cleaning wood. And does a good job of it!

6. t-bear

t-bear Well-Known Member

Saliva on a terry cloth rag will remove any "lava" on the rim....it just takes patience. You can GENTLY scrape the worst with a sharp knife, but take care not to n=reach the finish. I would just wipe it down with a damp cloth...no soap. You can use furniture polish or something like "Barkeeps Friend" to buff up the exterior.

Nice pipe at a nice price.

7. County Mountie

County Mountie Active Member

Just a note, I would NEVER use Murphy's on the exterior of a pipe, as it may tear the original wax off, and there's no need to do that unless you're doing a complete resto project

8. User3940

User3940 Active Member

Diluted Murphy's Oil Soap works wonders, and it is all natural, no caustic chemicals. But you must dilute it or it will strip off the wax as pointed out by CM.

9. ArmedOctopus

ArmedOctopus Active Member

Wish I could buff it up and add a wax, but I just used olive oil. And I sanded the thick buildup that was on the rim. Kind of wish I hadn't but I imagine once it gets charred by me a bit, it will blend in again. In the pic, it looks whitish, but it isnt...that's just glare. So anyways, here it is from ebay.... $18 plus $2 shipping. Word. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Terry292 and surlysoul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.