1. This forum section is for discussing pipes, it is not for advertising in any fashion.
  2. If you cannot verify your email address or recover your password, you need to call your ISP and tell them to stop blocking your email from this site.
    Dismiss Notice

Snapped Tenon!

Discussion in 'Pipes' started by Thaisamurai, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thaisamurai

Thaisamurai Member

Oct 7, 2010
    I was knocking out the ashes from my Churchwarden when a misjudged tap somehow caused the tenon to snap off inside the mortise/shank of the pipe...

How do I get it out? Also, what can I do in terms of repairs (no proper pipe shops/makers here in Thailand, so I will have to do everything myself)?

I would provide pictures, but my camera is acting up...hopefully I will be able to post pictures later if required.
  2. Gondar

Gondar Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Maybe you could screw a screw into the stuck tenon to get something to grip when pulling it out. Someone suggested putting the stummel in the freezer so that the cold shrinks the tenon and making it come loose easier. I have experience with neither method though.

Then perhaps you can evaluate how to proceed with mending the pipe.

Good luck with it!:)
  3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Sales Account

Jul 15, 2009
    Yeah you MIGHT be able to superglue the tenon back on if you extract it with a screw. Or it's off to the pipe repair man.

Knocking ash/dottle out is a bad idea. That's what that little spoon thing is for.
  4. ruffinogold

ruffinogold Vaperburlataro ! Mayor

Sep 25, 2009
    Drill tap or screw is what I use . Good luck and go far enough in so it grips to pull it out ... but not so far in that it splits it .
  5. futervest

futervest Member

Mar 6, 2011
    Unless it is a highly expensive pipe, I would replace the entire pipe A new stem will still have to be broken in, just like a new pipe would and it will still have to be fitted to the pipe. An inexperiansced person can go threw several stem to get a good fit.nso it might be cheeper just to replace pipes. As a restorer I only use original parts on pipes, this not only makes for a better smoke but also maintains value. Hope this helps.
  6. user0003

user0003 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Send it to Mark Tinsky it'll come back so well repaired that you'll never know it had broke. And he is very reasonably priced and quick.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.