So Far So Good....

Discussion in 'Pipe Tobacco' started by Lone Wolf, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Member

Well, I've smoked quite a few of the tobaccos I received in a trade. I've tried 14 out of 22 and the real surprise to me has been the Balkans. I dont really care for them, they just taste sour with an unpleasant aftertaste. I'm assuming that this is the Latakia in them so I have crossed off my list any blends that have Latakia.

Now Orlick Golden Slice, PS LTF & LNF? Mmmmmmm. Those are gonna be in my cellar. The rest of what I have is aro's. Gonna try the rest out during the next week.

Now the one I cant stay out of, even trying to ration it till my TAD order comes in?
    Old Gowrie. So far, my favorite. Bit spendy though.

2. Lestrade

Lestrade Active Member

Enjoy!

3. ruralhipster

ruralhipster Member

OGS, LTF and LNF are all great values and worth buying enough to cellar a bit. Don't forget to re-visit the balkans every year as tastes often change with time.

4. Jussto

Jussto Active Member

LTF is my go-to after work smoke, nice and sweet with some decent nic, and a room note that is not offensive if I'm out having drinks with friends, and reasonable to boot! It is a perfect blend IMHO.

+1 on revisiting the Balkans, tastes and techniques change over time, and you may come to like them later, it took me about a year to appreciate many of them, and I'm still learning with every bowl!

5. WyoBob

WyoBob Member

Ah, grasshopper, just compare the slightly higher price of O.G. to those cigarettes you used to smoke.

WyoBob (your local "justification" expert)

dwaugh and Lone Wolf like this.
  6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Member

Yessir, but as you said, LNF is almost as good and considerably easier on the wallet. O.G. is gonna be a "treat" smoke when I feel I deserve it.

Good thing I usually figure I deserve things often.........:whis:

Gary and WyoBob like this.
  7. HCraven

HCraven Active Member

Keep in mind that Rattray's are usually sold in 100g tins. I saw elsewhere on this forum where JR Cigars was selling them at about the same price as 50g tins of other tobaccos.

I haven't had Old Gowrie yet, but Hal O' The Wynd has been a staple in my rotation for many years.

8. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

Best price on the net! $12/100oz...that's like or actually cheaper than bulk at $72/#!

Hope JR keeps it that way!

Ed
    Puff

HCraven likes this.
  9. Gary

Gary Member

Only Rattray I've tried is Charle's Blend. It's a decent smoke. Paid $16 for 100g at a b&m.

10. Puff The Magic

Puff The Magic Active Member

I've liked every Rattray blend I've tried. Did not dislike any! Some I liked enough to cellar #'s of! Great smoke Rattrays is!

Ed
    Puff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.